Crown liners and hop aroma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crown liners and hop aroma

I've read studies that say as much as 80% of hop aroma is absorbed into the liners of crowns in a very short time. Who has researched this? What are the best liners to use for hoppy beers (or any beers)?

Bump

I'm wondering the same thing. Anybody want to chime in?

Comment

i know some are made to absorb o2. but i dont know about hop aroma.

Comment

I have no technical data, only my own observations:

I tend to keep a case or so of our beer in a cooler in my rig during the warmer seasons--not often on ice. Sometimes the beer will sit warm (sometimes in excess of 80F) for several days or a week+ before it gets consumed (iced, preferably, at this point). I've not noticed any loss of hops aroma due to this rather harsh treatment. We use lined crowns (Astir).
        Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
        Terminal Gravity Brewing,
        Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

We have battled O2 reduction by increasing hop additions but still it fades too quickly. Is your beer filtered?

Comment

the same issue with our amber ale we use 0.75lb/bbl just for aroma pluas similar amount less than 30min @BK , at bottling they taste so nice and smell so nice but when we pasteurize them to the next day they loss a lot of aroma and flavor and yes the plastic crown liners have hop aromas. The crown liners absorbs at the beginning onion and garlic aromas from the hops then the rest of the flavors.

I was thinking not to pasterurize to get a little bit more time of aroma and flavor in our beer any advice too?

Comment

Last study I saw was done by Sierra Nevada. I'll look around and see if i can find a link. I know it dealt w/ loss of hop aroma, but not sure if the loss was into the head space or due something absorbing.

Comment

it will be nice you can find and share the link

Comment

Thank you i will read it!

Comment

Working...
                  X