Brewery floor coatings for concrete?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epoxy Floor Covering in our Brewery

We had the same problem and just installed 3 drains in our flat floor. When you install the drains you will have to pour at least 1-2 feet of cement on each side of them for strength. Those few feet naturally will slope to your drain and we just squeege or hose the rest. We used a Rustoleum Industrial product we got from www.brewfloors.com for the covering and it works well. Not as good as a $10-15k mortar or tile option I suppose but for under $1000 to cover 1500 feet it does pretty well.

Hope that helps.

Originally posted by woohokie View Post
    Hey all, I've read through and searched about coatings, but havent seen any new information. Here is our situation:

Due to an uneven slab, we will likely need to repour a 47'x20' section of our slab where the brewhouse and fermentation/serving tanks will live. We've had both an ICO installer and a tile guy make some grimacing faces and remark on how expensive it would be if THEY created the slope with one of their products instead of using a concrete contractor. We intend to slope the floor to a center trench drain and then have the concrete contractor slope the floor for us giving us a new sloped concrete floor to then coat with something - thats the question. Tile installers have qouted $15-$17K and an application of ICO Guard 51 is in the neighborhood of $9K. Each of those prices assumes a clean already sloped floor for roughly 1000sq. ft. worth of installed product. Thought I should also mention that we are a 7bbl brewhouse with 4 matching fermenters and 5 serving jacketed brites (if that makes a difference). We only plan to keg off small amounts when needed, but otherwise don't plan to package much in this building ever as space (2900sq ft total) won't really allow it.

So, is there any, and if so, would any of you recommend a product that we 3 moderately handy guys could install that would work/make sense? Worst case we go with the ICO Gaurd 51 and spend the money to have them install, but as seems normal, our buildout costs are climbing and if we can save money by doing work ourselves, then we'd like to. However, if it means we'd have to re-do it in 2-3 years because we tried to cheap out, then I'll make the case for spending the money now.

Any input is always appreciated.

Comment

Well, we decided to go with Duraflex's poly concrete coating and had it professionally installed over our new sloped floor. It wasn't cheap, obviously, and while we've open been in operation for 2 months, it's hard to say how it will hold up. For now it's doing great. We went with safety yellow for the color as our brand has yellow in it - pretty bad idea in the end as the floor looks dirty but isn't. The bright color was not the way to go. Oh well live and learn... I'll consider the fact that 99% of the time I never have to use a squeegee, a win.

As usual, thanks for the all help everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by RockyMtnBrew View Post
        We had the same problem and just installed 3 drains in our flat floor. When you install the drains you will have to pour at least 1-2 feet of cement on each side of them for strength. Those few feet naturally will slope to your drain and we just squeege or hose the rest. We used a Rustoleum Industrial product we got from www.brewfloors.com for the covering and it works well. Not as good as a $10-15k mortar or tile option I suppose but for under $1000 to cover 1500 feet it does pretty well.

Hope that helps.
        Hey RockyMtnBrew,

I'm wondering what makes the product from brewfloors better than a standard epoxy? Do you have any more information about it? We're considering just sealing our concrete and re-sealing periodically or as needed to avoid the "flaking" issue epoxies are said to have. I can't find much information on it so anything you found out from the company or from experience would be greatly apprecaited!

Cheers,
        Tim

Comment

Bump on the brewfloors questions from Tim.

How's it working? Site says five year guarantee, and I'm wondering about having to re-coat.

We're looking at about a 2000sq/ft space and are leasing, so I don't want to huck a bunch of money at the floor - can't imagine we'll be there more than our 5 year lease.
          Thanks,
          JK

Comment

Originally posted by jkrautstrunk View Post
            Bump on the brewfloors questions from Tim.

How's it working? Site says five year guarantee, and I'm wondering about having to re-coat.

We're looking at about a 2000sq/ft space and are leasing, so I don't want to huck a bunch of money at the floor - can't imagine we'll be there more than our 5 year lease.
            Thanks,
            JK
            Just bumping this up, I'm trying to decide between brewfloors product vs a polyurethane coating. The price difference is large and it could mean a lot of extra equipment/upgrades elsewhere, even if it means reapplying every 6 months in a few high-wear areas. I'd love to hear any updates about how it's holding up.

Comment

Parker Coatings WRU-1015

I'll recommend Parker Coatings Water Resistant Urethane Coating. Here's the spec sheet: http://www.parkercoatings.com/PDF/1015-WRU.pdf

We've had it on our floor since it was poured 3 years ago. Application is a muriatic acid treatment and three coatings of the sealer - can be done by yourself without a problem. It wouldn't hurt to have a bit more texture in the floor but ours is smooth. I'd also seal up the stress cuts with caulk prior to applying this. It holds up extremely well to anything we've thrown at it and hasn't shown any signs of wear - you can run a bobcat over it all day with zero issues. The cost to do a 2,500 sq ft area was probably $800 - I bought extra originally and still have a bit left over.

Comment

Originally posted by vinesrushes View Post
                I'll recommend Parker Coatings Water Resistant Urethane Coating. Here's the spec sheet: http://www.parkercoatings.com/PDF/1015-WRU.pdf

We've had it on our floor since it was poured 3 years ago. Application is a muriatic acid treatment and three coatings of the sealer - can be done by yourself without a problem. It wouldn't hurt to have a bit more texture in the floor but ours is smooth. I'd also seal up the stress cuts with caulk prior to applying this. It holds up extremely well to anything we've thrown at it and hasn't shown any signs of wear - you can run a bobcat over it all day with zero issues. The cost to do a 2,500 sq ft area was probably $800 - I bought extra originally and still have a bit left over.
                Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks!

Comment

Flooring Done Right

If anyone needs anything feel free to call or email me. We travel all over the USA and have done over 80 Breweries 7 of the top 20 Craft Breweries in the nation and i could send you all contact info for everyone.

CHEERS
                  Chris Klein
                  541-510-1080 Cell
                  503-769-6823 office
                  Cascade Floors is an industrial flooring company specializing in epoxy or resin based floor and wall systems to cover and protect concrete and other surfaces.
                  Chris Klein
                  Cell 541-510-1080
                  Office (503) 769-6823
                  WWW.CASCADEFLOORS.COM
                  chris@cascadefloors.com

Comment

• mmcdon47
                    mmcdon47 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Do you travel to NJ

Question on the Parker Coating

Originally posted by vinesrushes View Post

Why did you not opt for their PROTECH 4600-ECR which is "extreme chemical resistant" and recommended for Brewery Floors? Just curious, since I'm looking into purchasing this product.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Trosset View Post
                    We are about 3 weeks away from installing a product called Seal Hard. Its a concrete sealer, not a floor coating. Everything Ive found on it is impressive. We will be using PBW as well as PAA. Both of those in concentrations under 10% v/v are resisted in an "excellent" level, the sealer does not support microbial growth, it hardens the concrete, its NSF certified and its only $137.50 for 5 gallons (1 gallon covers approx 200 sf). On top of that, you dont have to pay a "professional" to install it.

If anyone is curious Ill post our results once we know how we like the product.
                    Frank did you like this product?
                    Dan Lynch, Co-Founder
                    Little Miami Brewing Company
                    Old Milford, Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by TWeber View Post
                      We had the brewhouse floor re-poured with the correct pitch.

We chose Dur-A-Flex Poly-Crete with a the color fast top coat. All done by professionals. The polyurathane flooring is being applied today as we speak!

We are super strapped for cash, but we did not want to skimp on the flooring or brewing system. Epoxy scares me. Good luck!
                      Hi TWeber. I am a builder, contracted by a brewery to fix the floors in their onsite brewing area. I am considering using the Dur-a-Flex Poly-Crete system with cove and wonder how it has held up since installed? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by woohokie View Post
                        Well, we decided to go with Duraflex's poly concrete coating and had it professionally installed over our new sloped floor. It wasn't cheap, obviously, and while we've open been in operation for 2 months, it's hard to say how it will hold up. For now it's doing great. We went with safety yellow for the color as our brand has yellow in it - pretty bad idea in the end as the floor looks dirty but isn't. The bright color was not the way to go. Oh well live and learn... I'll consider the fact that 99% of the time I never have to use a squeegee, a win.

As usual, thanks for the all help everyone.
                        Hi. Just wondering how the poly-Crete has held up. Considering using this stuff for a brewery floor Remodel.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=c.r.nevins;203882]Hi. Just wondering how the poly-Crete has held up. Considering using this stuff for a brewery floor Remodel.

Chris

Chris,
                          It's been installed for 3 years now. For the most part it has stood up great. The area of degradation occurs at the transition of the concrete floor and the thermoset drain channel. We have a trench drain that run the length of our breweryfloor. In the cellar where we go from hot to cold in cleaning the coefficient of thermal expansion is slightly different between the trench material and the concrete, which causes this crack to open. I've been told there is a special urathane that is suppose to bridge this gap and be replaced yearly. I haven't gotten to it yet and have started to realize i need to get t done.

If parts are dropped on the floor from a height, such as a butterfly valve it will chip. But I haven't seen it go all the way through the polycrete, perhaps half the distance. The only slight staining had been in front of the brewhouse diverted plate. Just a bit more brown on top of the red. The floor will scratch if you slide a pallet or anything sharp on it.

In the cooler there has been very little wear and tear.

With those tiny issues, I still like the flooring. I've been very happy with it. I've seen much worse in sealed or epoxy floors.
                          Tim Weber
                          Owner/Brewer
                          Twin Leaf Brewery

Comment

Seal Hard Results

Originally posted by Frank Trosset View Post
                            We are about 3 weeks away from installing a product called Seal Hard. Its a concrete sealer, not a floor coating. Everything Ive found on it is impressive. We will be using PBW as well as PAA. Both of those in concentrations under 10% v/v are resisted in an "excellent" level, the sealer does not support microbial growth, it hardens the concrete, its NSF certified and its only $137.50 for 5 gallons (1 gallon covers approx 200 sf). On top of that, you dont have to pay a "professional" to install it.

If anyone is curious Ill post our results once we know how we like the product.
                            I just spoke with an associate of Frank's who was there when they applied the Seal Hard by Laticrete. They applied 6 coats, did it all to spec, and at best it lasted 4 months, before the aggregate was exposed again. The hot water and chemicals ate right through it. It is working ok in their restaurant with just foot traffic.
                            So there ya go!

Comment

Self Install Options

We also offer Self Installs. we provide 2 guys for the technical part of install. Brewery supplies 3-4 guys for manual labor. We have done this for Maui Brewing, Haines Brewing and Common Space Brewing.

Email me anytime with questions, Or call. My phone is always on.

Cheers all!!
                              Chris Klein 541-510-1080
                              chris@cascadefloors.com
                              Chris Klein
                              Cell 541-510-1080
                              Office (503) 769-6823
                              WWW.CASCADEFLOORS.COM
                              chris@cascadefloors.com

Comment

Working...
                              X