DIY Keg Cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm building 4 keg washer too.
    Arduino PLC controled, friend is finishing programming, I will do hardware. However I have doubts.
    How to bleed pump between caustic and sanitizer, and to avoid mixing two chemicals, or avoid dilution chemicals with water??
    Do I need somehow to bleed pump?

Comment

Your concern is shared, but it seems in reality it's not a concern as all the "real" ones I've looked at share a common pump and feeder lines. Someone (on here I think) actually has a separate pump for each chemical, but I'm pretty sure most don't. Mine doesn't.

I'd guess that unless your doing something silly like an acid cycle, and then a caustic cycle in the same clean, that it's fine.

What pump are you gonna use to feed 4 heads??

-J.
      Last edited by Jer; 01-25-2017, 03:33 AM.
      Jeremy Reed
      Co-Founder and President, assistant brewer, amateur electrician, plumber, welder, refrigeration tech, and intermediately swell fella
      The North of 48 Brewing Company
      Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

www.no48.ca

Comment

I know it costs a bit more in some respects, but I would aways go for two separate pumps so that you don't have to faff about with additional valves and software flushing out the pump after each use, and each pump system can then be sized / set up accurately for the specific flow rate / volume requirement required for the individual chemicals. No risk, or perhaps I should say, far less risk of caustic getting into sterilant and vice versa.
        dick

Comment

I have few dairy pumps 700W, with capacity of 4000 lit/h ( 1 056.69 gallons US per hour) but need at least one for brewing vessels. The gay who made this system used 1 pump same power water, but I agree 2 pumps much better.
          Never seen commercial washer and I wondering if they have programs ( like house appliances) or this is invention of the man who previously made this keg washer, he made short programme , just rinsing air and water , without use of caustic or sanitizer, beside full programme with all chemicals ??
          Any idea of pump capacity on commercial keg washers?

Comment

Originally posted by dwelch View Post
            I am setting up a small 3 bbl brewery and will be using 1/6 bbl kegs.
            What is your cycle times?

Thank you

Don Welch
            This system works fine on a homebrewer size but a nano size this won't last 6 months, The key to commercial keg washing is hot water. PBW works best hot as in the 170-180 range. They say it works at 130 and up but anything less is useless. Purging the PBW with CO2 will render it useless as well. At those temps you can only wash a small amount(15-20) of kegs before the PVC gives out. Had thirty kegs to wash one day and it basically self destructed at the fittings. That being said presently we use a home made washer - utilizes 3 six-tels, PBW, Acid #5 and SaniClean, a purge valve for hot (185) water rinses except after the SaniClean wash. We purge with air on all cycles except for the sani, where we purge then fill with CO2. Yes I know the Acid #5 is overkill but it keeps the owner happy and you can't get too clean. Takes about 20 minutes a keg but you can skip the Acid 5 cycle occasionally.
            looking to replace with a multi-head version of what I have, just too cheap to spring for a big buck keg washer.

Comment

Black H2O

How do you use six-tel kegs with your set-up? Do you have any pictures? Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X