Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Built Draft Cooler

Hi All,

So Im trying to build a custom under counter cooler to house my kegs for draft dispensing in our tap room. Im running into a bit of an issue with the local building department in regards to the cooler not being UL listed/rated. Has anyone here built a custom cooler and been able to pass inspection with it?

Any help/info from someone with experience in this arena would be great.

Thanks!!

Frank

Are you converting a back-bar cooler into a kegerator or building an insulated box and putting a custom compressor on it and whatnot? It is pretty darn easy to convert a back-bar cooler and you can find them pretty cheap these days as everyone seems to be upgrading to the glass door units to show of their giant horde of beer bottles. 3 door bev-air, true and perlicks go in the $900-1200 range by me in good used condition. Beaters for half that. I scored a like new glass faced 3 door for $1600. Watch craigslist and make sure it is not only UL but NSF certified. Health inspectors will want the NSF in most cases.

Hope that helps!!

Comment

Originally posted by mmmatt View Post
      Are you converting a back-bar cooler into a kegerator or building an insulated box and putting a custom compressor on it and whatnot? It is pretty darn easy to convert a back-bar cooler and you can find them pretty cheap these days as everyone seems to be upgrading to the glass door units to show of their giant horde of beer bottles. 3 door bev-air, true and perlicks go in the $900-1200 range by me in good used condition. Beaters for half that. I scored a like new glass faced 3 door for $1600. Watch craigslist and make sure it is not only UL but NSF certified. Health inspectors will want the NSF in most cases.

Hope that helps!!
      So I was hoping to build a totally custom box. One that could open on both sides and have a heavy duty drawer system. The plan is to make it ten kegs long, by two wide. The thought process is that the tapped keg would be on the bar side of the cooler, the fresh keg would be cycled in from behind on the brewery side of the cooler. That way the bar tender would always have a fresh keg waiting and new kegs could be inserted into the cooler without having to go through the bar to do so.

My problem at this point is the building department. They want to see that the cooler is UL listed/rated and of course it wont be.

Got any clever tricks to get around this?!

Frank

Comment

Custom Draft Cooler

I ran a bar in FL that had a custom draft walk in cooler. It was cooled by a window unit a/c and a coolbot device to trick the a/c unit to keep pumping cool air in keeping a steady 38F. Not sure if going that route would help at all.

Comment

Working...
        X