Vapour exhaust > condensator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vapour exhaust > condensator?

We are about to move our equipment into a large building wich is half commercial/half residential. The owner is concerned with the "smell" wich emanates during the boil. (many complaints are actualy circulating vs. a nearby downtown br.pub )

Do you know if a type of condensator exists for this pupose? I've heard that it is widely used in Europe, in small brewpubs, but never seen one.

I would like to have mor info: BTU's required for 5 BBL, space required, weigth, cost, etc.

Thanks,

Zb

Please do a search............

..........a previous post response I made within the last 6 months regarding stack scrubbers. I did some calculations for our own project here which has different circumstances but similar results. I had to engineer this solution on my own as there were no real accessable examples.

Write me at my direct E-mail for more info after that.

Comment

Bastone Brewpub in Royal Oak Mi, has what I think you are looking for. I don't know much about how it works, I've just seen it once. Their brewhouse is in a basement with no exhaust for the kettle stack. I'm afriad I don't have their number handy.

Cheers,
      Scott
      Scott Isham
      Harper's Brewpub

Comment

Condensors don't work, in my humble opinion.
        The reason being that steam will come out from the doors / manway during boil and the condensors don't create a draft to pass the steam through.
        When we decommissioned an existing Brewery to move it to our second facility, we disconnected their condensor. It was loaded with hop debris.......which I found kind of odd since it was well above and out of the way of the manway!

You either remove the steam or scrub it out. Otherwise, you run the risk of having to come back later and install them after the neighbors get cranky.

Comment

thanks guys!

I will look fwd to get more info concerning the gaz scrubber and try to get in touch with Bastone Brewpub as well.

In fact, I guess that since I will evaporate less than a hundred gallons, that I will go for either eliminating odours or condensaate without scrubbing

Comment

Calculate how much volume you want to boil off.

Im taking a guess, but with the ambient water temp in Canada, I would say at least twice that volume in water spray would condense that adequately.

Come out of the kettle with two 90 degree elbows, to get flow downwards, Then a straight length of pipe to the drain or to the floor. Insert 3 or 4 full sphere spray pattern nozzles into that pipe. Plumb each nozzle with at least a 1/2 inch piping from at least a 3/4 inch water header. Place a ball valve before each nozzle so you can shut off or throttle the flow to each nozzle. Size the nozzles to give you the proper flow rate over the length of your boil.

I have a system like this in my 20 BBL kettle, and it works fine. It doesnt completely eliminate odors though. Steam doesnt come out through the doors. I also get a great evaporation rate.

You can send the vapors through a carbon filter, but it would have to be a large sized unit about 5 ft x 5ft (again guessing). You would also have to condense the steam before the hitting the filters.
            Last edited by zbrew2k; 07-07-2005, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X