No announcement yet.

Home Brewer seeks filtration system...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Brewer seeks filtration system...

Hello all,

My buddies and I have been homebrewing for a while, and we want to pool our resources to improve our processes.

We're trying to come up with a filtration system than can handle our 2-5 bbls per month. We've thought about cartrige filters, but everything we've found has been prohibitively expensive. And we're considering putting together some sort of pressurized DE system, though not sure if that will get us enough clarity.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, but some detailed suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks.

It's just so hard to filter beer at home. You most likely won't have pressurized vessels to filter carbonated beer, and unless you're artificially carbonating, you'll need some yeast in the beer to carbonate. I guess you could set up some kind of system using a cartrige to filter from one soda keg to another, but as you pointed out, it ain't cheap.

If the goal is bright beer, try using a well-floculating yeast strain, use Irish Moss in the boil, and use finings like Polyclar in the secondary. And chill the beer real well to help settle out the proteins and yeast.

Do all of these AND get a soda keg and counterpressure bottle filler, and you'll never need a filter!

Cheers, Tim

Comment

Get a 5 (or 9 plate) plate sheet filter from Marcon Filters. It is made for homebrewers and it rules face. All sorts of options (d.e. simulation). Call them at 905-338-2868 or fax at 905-338-6849. They are out of canada and I hope they are still in business as it seems their web is no longer up. Expect to spen $200-$400 for everything.
      Bottoms Up!

Comment

Originally posted by tarmadilo
        Do all of these AND get a soda keg and counterpressure bottle filler, and you'll never need a filter!

Cheers, Tim
        Can you tell me a little more about this? I've got a soda keg, whats a counterpressure bottle filler and what does it do with respect to clarification?

Comment

copunter pressure bottle filler

Hi Driftwood, a copunter pressure bottle filler is a device u can build by ur self, here u have a little of information for do it:

Good luck
          DANNKEN

Comment

Wine Filter

If you really must filter you can use a small wine filter like the Buon Vino Mini Jet or the Super Jet. They have built in pumps and use filter pads like a plate frame filter. They cost $160 for the mini and $300 for the super. You can order one from brewingworld (586)264-2351. You'll likely need to keg for carbonation after filtering as Tim suggested.

Ray
            Ray Sherwood
            Sherwood Brewing Company
            Shelby Township, MI
            f.586.532.9337

Comment

Ok, so I now understand what a counterpressure bottle filler is, but I don't see how that would help with beer clarity...

As for the pad filters, thanks for the info. I think I've seen enough of the them to see how they work, and might end up going with one...

How about pressure leaf filters? I'm wondering how they work and if it wouldn't be possible to apply the principle to make a simple filtration system. I understand it would probably be a little more expensive to put together, but cheaper in the long run to opperate, especially if we were to increase our production.

So can anyone give me a brief rundown of how the system works, or maybe some good links that explain it? I'm a chemical engineer, so no need to dumb it down... thanks...
              Last edited by Driftwood; 07-18-2005, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Sorry I didn't respond quicker, I'm 2000 miles from home on vacation!

With a soda keg and a counterpressure bottle filler, you don't have to bottle condition, which means you won't have (much) sediment in the bottles, so you won't be clouding up the beer when you move the bottles around. Which can only help clarity!

Chilling the beer down in the keg and letting it settle out SHOULD clarify your beer nicely...

Cheers, Tim

Comment

Working...
                X