No announcement yet.

Fermentis dried yeasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I only these yeasts, somewhat through I don't brew regularly enough to justify wet pitches, but I also like some of them.

US-05, cal ale, 001/1056. There are people who say that there are slight differences between the three versions, and those that say it I am inclined to support - but, whether the punter knows... I doubt it. This is the stock yeast we use, ferms well, flocks out, little sulphur issues on occasion (but that could be my water treatment) - we get very nice bright beers. Standard ferm anything between 18-22'c (I have "accidentally" ferm'd at 26'c+ with little negative effect) - starts to crap out at below 15'c, but will still slow ferment - I have cold conditioned with this, as much as I can at 9'c to give a kolsch-esque type brew, minus a fruity/estery nose. Blends well with other more distinctive strains ;-)

K97
    - very fine powdery yeast. Ferm'd with good krausen. 4 days at 16'c then dropped to 9'c and hold (as low as I can go) for two weeks. We did, with adjunct fining & Isiinglas (and P'floc in kettle) get a nice clear beer. Whether this was a true Kolsch, having not lagered, I doubt it, but I will use it again.

T58 - hefty belgian strain. very very belgian. Hard to floc out. I found best used in blend with a low ester english/US ale strain. 70/30 80/20 - low end for t58. Start warm and ramp down to get nice "belgian" notes. Made an english hopped IPA, with this - it was just tooooo much. I wished I had just used a %'ge of that strain, rather. It took ages to lose a really heavy nose, and mellow down to a sound belgian note.

s33, fast ferment. Strange flavoured yeast. Bottled well, beer only tasted nice when the yeast wasn't in suspension. I am told that this is a delirium/huyghe strain, or part of. The beer, only once warm conditioned did it start to take on a belgian-y note. It was otherwise very spicy. I would use it again as a bottling yeast.

So4. diacetyl bomb if you're not careful. Oxygenate, rouse and rest. makes great dark UK ales. It's supposed to be a Whitbread strain. Works well, clears well, ferms fast but the potential for Diacetyl is too much for me, being a fan of the US05. (I have however blended to reduce this note, with the US05)

S23, lagered in freezer as a homebrewer, gave a very very nice clean lager. Want to try this for a steam beer.

WB? not heard great things about this. can't really comment further, as I haven't actually used it, so perhaps best ignoring me on that one.

The dry rest? Windsor, Nottingham? There is a wit beer yeast somewhere?

and there is another lager strain from Fermentis?

hope that helps?
    Founder of London Brewers' Alliance | European Craft Sales Manager for SimplyHops.com | BrewWharf 2009/11 | Writes CAMRA's Homebrew Column | Opened Breakwater Brew Co | Get me @phillowry

Comment

totally agree with sulphur issues from US-05 sometimes. we have had a few eggy stinkers which needed a hell of alot of co2 bubbling through and holding under pressure.

so4 is a great yeast, the attenuation is pretty poor though flocculation is great.
      GeorgeJ
      Head Brewer - TDM 1874 Brewery.
      Yokohama, Japan.

Comment

us05

Never had sulfur issues with it.

Comment

Well

After setting up on my own, I wasn't going to go into the micro brewing world as the main source of income, but guess what ??????

Anyway, we wanted to get going PDQ, so after seeing this and asking a few other people, I tried S04 yeast

Never again. I know the temperature control wasn't great, and wort oxygenation is to say the least not brilliant - but that was part of the supposed strength of dried yeast

The beer came out smelling like Sauvignon Blanc, not beer. Dropped like a stone leaving pretty clear beer and fermented like a dream in terms of SG reduction, but.....

Fresh yeast here we come

Cheers
          dick

Comment

S-04

Wow,

I'm really surprised to hear your dismal results Dick. I've always had a clean neutral flavour from S-04, never any Diacetyl or weird aromas in the 5+ years I've been using it. I've had a few instances in England also where our cooling broke down and ended up fermenting high (26-27 C).

Strange.

T
            Tariq Khan (Brewer/Distiller)

Yaletown Brewing and Distilling Co.
            Vancouver, B.C.
            Canada

Comment

Ah, the neutral flavour. If you discount the vinous aroma, you are right, it doesn't add anything. However we were hoping for a little more character. Oh yes it also seemed a little "bready yeast", not from the malt

So I will have to phone around for some yeast tomorrow

Aaah the joys of starting from scratch

Cheers
              dick

Comment

S-04....our house strain

S-04 has been a workhorse for our brewpub. Agreed that attenuation is poor but we brew styles that allow it....pale ales, IPAs, sweet stout, browns, and reds. I've never gotten a final gravity below 1012 but we don't brew below OG's of 1050 either. I might try blending it with 05 sometime but for the most part I'm stuck on this yeast.

Comment

Originally posted by Brew Chef
                  S-04 has been a workhorse for our brewpub. Agreed that attenuation is poor but we brew styles that allow it...
                  I agree. this is also the workhorse of our brewpub.

Doesn't like underpitching generally. Gen1 can be 'vinous' with underaeration.

Subsequent generations can take a lot of punishment though. And can also give you some heady flavour notes. Our 'Fightin' Irish' (ABV 5.5, AE 3.5 oP - dry fermented, high Temp conversion) is underpitched, underoxygenated and fermented at 66 oF.

Can you say higher alcohols? Primary is still only 4 days.

We use others on occasion but this is our mainstay.

Pax.

Liam
                  Liam McKenna
                  www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Dick: We have used Saf Ale 04 for years now, 500gr for 2000 liters of wort day one, and then added wort 2 to 4 days more. Never a problem with taste, aroma, floc, attenuation. Vinous aroma??, I doubt that you can claim the yeast for that. But when it is you who says so.... well we pitch dry yeast directly to the fermenter rather warm 23-26 deg celsius, turn down temp to 22-23 when fermentation is started. Sometimes we let it ferment without temperature control. Makes it a bit more fruity but it tastes good.

Comment

Gotta join in on the SO4 bandwagon. Although I prefer the Nottingham for incredible attenuation (10.7 down to 1.65), I have used SO4 for years with no off tastes. And I dont oxygenate it at all. I will also highly recommend WB06 used at about 60% of recommended pitch levels and no oxygen. This stress on the yeast really brings out the phenols for a genuine German-style wheat. Great product.
                      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Well, Thanks for the comments guys

I am struggling to get top fermenting yeast out of any of the local larger (not jumbo) brewers. It really is too much hassle for them to supply it except at exorbitant cost. So it will be back to the Fermentis for the next brew or two. So the next problem will be cropping the stuff for re-use out of a shallow dish vessel

I didn't realise what I was missing working in a big brewery for so long, with really good kit - going back to almost homebrew standards of kit is a whole new ball game - and great fun at present.

Cheers
                        dick

Comment

Enjoy it for what it is Dick.

Keep doing what you know you do well.

Life is change.

Work is always a process of continuous improvement.

I'll shut me gob now.

Pax.

Liam
                          Liam McKenna
                          www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

We use Fermentis yeasts in just about every beer we produce. I don't use S-04, but I found oxygenating US-05 on the first pitch produced a tart fruit flavor, inconsistent with the beers I was trying to produce. Both major dry yeast manufacturers have mentioned there are enough lipids within the cell for the first fermentation (for average gravity worts). As soon as I stopped aerating the first pitch, I noticed far better flavor profiles for US-05.

I have used S-189, S-23, and W34/70 and found I would rather save S-189 for darker lagers and bock style beers then use in our house pilsner. I found it too rich for more moderate gravity/paler lagers. No issues with S-23, we just went with W34/70 as it produced the flavor profile we desired.
                            Tom Knight
                            Nashoba Valley Brewery

Comment

Hey Dick,

Sorry to hear your S04 experience...hope you don't blame me, mate!

Sounds like you have a lot of variables.

We use dry S04 for our pale and porter without fail. Pitching 250g / 750l of 1.038 wort dry, no rehydration. We do aerate. We let it go from 18-22 as a general rule.

On the cropping, I think you could top crop it day 2-3 without any problems. Post fermentation I've pulled yeast from bottom as well, using roughly 1l of slurry per UK barrel...Our dish bottom Grundies have a standpipe that we can remove and pull yeast...not great but works when you forget to order yeast.

Have fun!
                              Last edited by Rosie; 08-25-2010, 11:11 AM.
                              Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
                              Chairman of the Beer
                              Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
                              Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
                              W: www.lovibonds.com
                              F: LovibondsBrewery
                              T: @Lovibonds

Comment

I use

US-05 for our Pale and IPA

S-04 for the Red and Brown

S-23 for the Lager and Porter

WB-06 for the Hefe

T-58 for our Seasonal Belgian

As you can tell I am pretty sold on them for the small brewer. I also liked using the US-05 in the bigger brewery and repitching for no more than 5 generations. It got me new yeast more often and actually was cheaper in the long run.

At the brewpub I typically use a new pack each time I brew. The only exception is the Porter which I try to time with the lager so I can pitch a bigger amount.

R/
                                Mike Pensinger
                                General Manager/Brewmaster
                                Parkway Brewing Company
                                Salem, VA

Comment

Working...
                                X