Fermentis dried yeasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Pitching 250g / 750l of 1.038 wort dry, no rehydration"

Ah, I'm still grossly overpitching it seems. The last brew was 350 g for 6.5 hl, and it went like the clappers - due to final cool it tomorrow am after it has had the diacetyl rest overnight. Cooling is a bit uncontrolled, so dare not try to cool it a mere 2 or 3 degrees tonight first, so will be left warmer that I really would have liked until then

Thanks for the feedback / help guys

Cheers

Dick
    dick

Comment

where can i buy fermentis

I have been looking to buy fermentis for my brewery but can only find homebrew supplies. where can i get the big packs?

thanks
      steve
      2nd shift brewing

Comment

Originally posted by deadvet
        I have been looking to buy fermentis for my brewery but can only find homebrew supplies. where can i get the big packs?

thanks
        steve
        2nd shift brewing

Crosby and Baker Ltd, have (9) different dry yeasts in bulk, (6) Ale yeasts and (3) Lager strains

you have to set up an account with them as a brewery to see those products listed.
        www.beerontheriver.com

Comment

Crosby and Baker. Call them and ask for the 500gram packs.
          I actually have my first beer pitched with SO-4 (Pale Ale) finishing up primary as we speak. I'll post my results.
          Big Willey
          "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

Thats what i figured, just wast sure if they were the only supplier.

thanks

Comment

while I am not sure if they are the only ones, I can say that they were very helpful in the beginning, and and one of the few things I still buy from them is dry yeast. always been very professional and easy to work with from my standpoint.
              www.beerontheriver.com

Comment

Filtered my first beer (Pale Ale) done with the S-04 Friday. Good results. Started at 15P ended at 3.2P with 4.5 days active primary, pitched 500grams dry directly into the wort no rehydration. Oxygenated at about 1/2 the level I usually do. I usually use WLP 001 so the beer definately finished higher, 3.2 as opposed to right around 2P for 001. Nice soft mouth feel, hops were a bit muted compared to 001, but I expected that. Pretty clean and neutral with a very subdued fruitiness that is barely noticeable. I did not get the best yeast harvest but that was probably because i pitched a little on the low side. I will try the S-05 pretty soon to see how it performs. Overall i am happy with the current results. The repitched batch should be ready by the end of this week (red ale( and I will see how it comes out. The yeast I did harvest was very thick and compact compared to 001. Reminded me of when I used White labs Dry English Ale yeast.
                Big Willey
                "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

s-04 and lallemand nottingham are the workhorses in our brewery weve very rarely encountered a problem with them and when we have its normally due to equipment failure or staff error

ive brewed a number of award and festival winning beers with these two
                  support the diamond empire

www.liverpoolorganicbrewery.com

Comment

best ever

I've got to tell you....I NEVER thought I'd be saying this....the dry yeast from Fermentis is incredible. I've used the entire lineup without issue. It has blown my mind. The entire line is repitchable, the only one that seems to have trouble is the Hefe strain, but then so does the liquid form.

the instructions say to re-hydrate, but we've had great luck just pitching dry. I also believe it lowers the contamination possible with using water.

on cost, WAY cheaper then liquid cultures. I feel guilty now if I have to buy liquid (mostly due to needing a specific strain)

do it, you won't be dissapointed.
                    Larry Horwitz

Comment

We have won 3 Gold and 5 Silver GABF Medals with S-04 .

So, needless to say, we like Fermentis. ;-)
                      Joe Kearns
                      Brewmaster
                      The White Hag Brewing Co.
                      Sligo, Ireland

Comment

We have won 3 Gold and 5 Silver GABF Medals with S-04 .

So, needless to say, we like Fermentis. ;-)

Pitch it Dry, right on the cool wort @ 250g/ 4bbls. Oxygenate, if you want, @ 8lbs over line pressure.

You'll have to take my word for it, I won't say what brewery or beers. We gotta keep some things secret, no? ;-)
                        Joe Kearns
                        Brewmaster
                        The White Hag Brewing Co.
                        Sligo, Ireland

Comment

Just wondering if anyone uses S-189 for their lagers? If so do you aerate? and how many generations fo you get out of it?

Comment

Yup, I've used S-189 for lagers. I do aerate as I normally would. I'm curious, is there a reason not to?

I've only ever repitched it 2x, but that's because I don't brew many lagers. The 2nd generation performed fine, so I would have been comfortable continuing to repitch it.
                            Hutch Kugeman
                            Head Brewer
                            Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
                            Hyde Park, NY

Comment

I'd assume to aerate it being a lager (pitching cold), but out of interest just wondering if anyone doesn't based on the previous posts here for some of the ale strains.

Comment

Observations...

I brewed at a micro a few years back that used US-05 and it performed very well for us there. Now I am at a new start-up that uses US-05 as well. We are into our fourth batch this week and I still am not getting the kind of performance I remember out of this yeast. Here is what I am doing, and what I am noticing, any insights are appreciated...

-We are pitching 5, 500 gram bricks into a "yeast brink" (1/2 bbl keg w/ 4" tri-clamp opening in top and 1 1/2'' tri-clamp outlet on bottom...you know the one). We run about 4-5 gallons of 90-ish degree wort into it. We found that rehydrating warm works wonders to prevent clumping. I have been reluctant to toss it in through the door on the tank because we have 60 bbl tanks and I don't think it would hit wort, just the sani-covered tank wall. -

-This pitch is for 30 + BBLs. We brew twice into the tanks and have been pitching w/ each knockout, though on the last batch we brewed over two consecutive days and I was getting confident enough to just send in the second batch w/o additional yeast. Seems to have worked.

- I am oxygenating w/ pure oxygen, a little more each time in hopes this will enhance performance. I had heard the Lallemand products did not need O2 but never read this for Fermentis.

-We knockout to 70-72 and set the glycol to 69.

- Getting lag times of nearly 24 hours ( I remember this yeast kicking off in 4-6 at the other place). After starting it attenuates on a typical schedule.
                                - Getting diacetyl precursors in spite of generous d-rest though not at problematic levels.
                                - Getting volatile sulfur at the end of fermentation.
                                - Consistently getting FG of 1.012. Pretty-much on target.
                                -Generating about one bbl of slurry, seems like very little for the batch size.
                                -Slurry is very runny and unconvincing.
                                - At a previous job we were trained to evaluate slurry by, among other things, tasting it. I thought it was a little silly at first, but eventually copped to it. I tasted this slurry the other day and just a finger tip's worth sent me running to the sink for water because of an intense burning sensation it left i my mouth. Very unusual. I know this is highly anecdotal but any idea what thats about?
                                - One batch has displayed noticeable phenols.

I was just going to keep laying it on thicker w/ the o2 but some comments here are leading me to believe I'm barking up the wrong tree. We are getting good fermentations for the most part but this is all very inconsistent w/ my prior impression of this strain and slightly disconcerting. Any guidance appreciated.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                                X