Fermentis dried yeasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WLG -

I had a similar issue with thin slurry collection. I would suggest looking at your water chemistry profile. Our issue was Zinc deficiency.

Best of luck.

Pax.

Liam
    Liam McKenna
    www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

I am brewing our Dunkel and our hefe starting with wb06. Had some really nice batches out of the liquid weizen strain from BSI. From all my research I have been hearing that this is a bad strain for dunkels, and there hasn't been alot of embellishment on why that is. (Maybe because of a relatively high attenuation and not leaving the beer with an appropriate sweetness?)

Anyways, Im brewing my Dunkel with this yeast today and I will keep everyone in the loop on how it goes. The recipe is 60% Wheat, 25% munich, and 15% smattering of crystals and darker malts. Fermentation temp is set for 64F.

More to come!

Eric Roth
      Roth Brewing Company, Raleigh NC
      Eric Roth
      Head Brewer, Roth Brewing Company
      Raleigh, NC

Comment

So, using the WB06 out of fermentis I have gotten a sweeter lighter fruit ester (or what i think tastes like an ester)on the front of the beer than anticipated. This flavor is not present in my hefe brewed with the same strain. I wouldnt say its an apple flavor and I also can say that it is not a bad flavor just . . different than what I was expecting. It lacks the dark carmalized fruit that I have been getting out of my dunkel with previous batches. Now this batch has also not had its appropriate aging period so I will post a little bit more info after when I would considered the beer "finished". Im thinking maybe because I ferment this batch of beer at a low temp for the style (64F) ?

Comments or questions would be appreciated but not mandatory!
        Eric Roth
        Head Brewer, Roth Brewing Company
        Raleigh, NC

Comment

I ferment with wb06 at temps upwards of 80F. Depending on what flavor profile I desire (clove, banana). In my Hefe, I pitch at 76F and allow it to climb as high as it wants, usually 82F. I've found this to be the best way to get a decent amount of banana character.

I did a White IPA with this yeast as well and kept fermentation temps in the mid 60's. This, along with the amount and type of hops used, produced a more "belgian" flavor (spicy, slight clove.)

I might also add, I typically underpitch this yeast and don't oxygenate the wort.

I havent done a dunkel yet, so I cant comment on that, but these parameters may help you decide how to use this yeast.
          Joe Kearns
          Brewmaster
          The White Hag Brewing Co.
          Sligo, Ireland

Comment

I have been fermenting several beers with SO5 in place of 1056 lately and quite honestly I am beginning to like the SO5 better. It attenuates to roughly the same range and seems to accentuate hop flavor and aroma profiles somewhat more so then its counterpart.

Have been repitching these slurries several times with none of the previously mentioned issues, thouh I am only about four generations into it...a bit early to tell. I do not rehydrate, only sprinkle on top of the wort. Most brews that do well with 1056 do as well or better with this one. It made my favorite IPA of the fall so far..

-Kev

Comment

safale

Originally posted by tariq khan View Post
              I'm a big fan of Safale yeasts, flavors are elegant, fermentations are consistent. I do however find beers that we have used Safale US-56 to be quite lively
              at racking (into cask) sometimes too lively !

The yeast flocculates well also...we've done an organic cask bitter that dropped bright without Isinglass.

I think the cost is worth it.

Tariq (Dark Star Brewery)
              which of the safale would you recommend as a house strain. northwest pale + ipa.

Comment

Originally posted by philv View Post
                which of the safale would you recommend as a house strain. northwest pale + ipa.
                The US-56 Tariq was talking about is called US-05 now. It's the closest thing to Chico Fermentis offers.

Comment

Fermentis

Originally posted by philv View Post
                  I like the US-05 for Hoppy American Style IPA/Northwest Pale, Takes longer to clear though. S-04 I like for English styles especially stouts.

For my house ale strain I actually use 50/50 S-04/US-05. I get some esters but mainly a fairly neutral flavour profile(which i like), and it clears very quickly (I don't filter). I use it for IPA, Amber Ale, English Pale Ale.

T
                  Tariq Khan (Brewer/Distiller)

Yaletown Brewing and Distilling Co.
                  Vancouver, B.C.
                  Canada

Comment

Safbrew T-58 Pitch Rates

I am brewing my Belgian Pale Ale today and this will be my first time using T-58 after switching from a liquid BSI yeast. It seems that the comments in this thread are very very inconsistent regarding pitching rates. The package recommends 80g/hl which would be around 240g/3bbl. The range from you guys is between 125 and 300grams.

Does anyone have any final suggestions in terms of how much to pitch for a 3bbl batch of 16p wort?

Cheers,
                    Andy

Comment

That sounds fine. We normally will pitch 500g per 7bbl for about the same SG. Rehydrate per instructions and use some O2 and you should be good.

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

That sounds fine. We normally will pitch 500g per 7bbl for about the same SG. Rehydrate per instructions and use some O2 and you should be good.
                          We're currently using US-05 and W-34/70 as our house strains and use the exact same pitch rate for our standard gravity ales and almost double that for our lagers. We do re-hydrate in water, but we do not add O2. We've done many batches both ways and noticed zero difference in lag time, attenuation, etc. How we re-hydrate and using a good yeast nutrient seems to be significantly more important (at least in our experience).

With that said, the times we do re-pitch (mostly the 34/70 because of cost reasons) we always add O2 as we would for a liquid strain.

Comment

I would agree on the lag times and the attenuation. We went without O2 for a while but then brewed a double ipa with the US-05 and I wasn't happy with my final pH on the first couple of batches. I introduced the O2 at this point and there was a definite drop down to more reasonable range for the next few. Still the lag times and attenuation were seemingly the same but it seemed just a slightly stronger ferment overall given the pH changes. After that the pith rate was increased slightly and that was the final push to putting the pH right where I wanted it.

Comment

What is everyones thoughts on the cost of dry yeast? I use White labs slurry (for 10+ years) and have had great luck with it. I have a 15 bbl system and last I checked thats 2 bricks of dry yeast. Seems like the cost is quite high?. But, I will be the first to admit I havent done a ton of research on this but I would love to change my yeast for the IPA
                              Mike Eme
                              Brewmaster

Comment

I have a 15 bbl system and last I checked thats 2 bricks of dry yeast. Seems like the cost is quite high?
                                A brick of US-05 costs us ~$50. $100 per batch for 15 bbl of beer doesn't seem high to me!

Edit to add: You also have to look at the actual cell count. From what I remember, White Labs' "pitchable" quantities were quite low so you also have to consider that when comparing true costs.

Comment

Working...
                                X