No announcement yet.

Scrap Yards & Keg theft - from post by Neil Witte

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I take it from the previous posts that these plastic kegs are NOT available with Sanke fittings? Too bad, seems like a nice alternative.

Anybody have a picture of one to post?

Scott

Comment

Hello All,

Tariq, I've just received in a load of plastic firkins. In regard to the "popping" keystones and difficult shives, would you suggest using wood or plastic? They came with wooden keystones and plastic shives. Is this the way to go? Which type has a better fit / chance of staying in place? Also in cleaning, what is a safe maximum temperature?

Cask conditioned Belgian style ale anyone?!

Aloha,
      Ron

Comment

plastic casks

Ron,

We've had better results using wood keystones and plastic shives, the standard ones (beige coloured with a rubbery ring) these seem to work better than our usual plastic shives (white with blue tut). You might have better results with wood though as they swell. we rack after they've cooled down too. we've been cleaning them with a strong caustic wash at 40-50 deg C (104-122degF) and steam. I like the sound of that cask conditioned Belgian!!!!!

cheers

Tariq (Dark star brewery)
        Tariq Khan (Brewer/Distiller)

Yaletown Brewing and Distilling Co.
        Vancouver, B.C.
        Canada

Comment

The profit margin for keg beer is significantly greater than that of bottled, canned or any packaged product.
          The A-B may be able to save millions by packaging changes because they can change a label and the price stays the same. The on-premise A-B unit is not experiencing the ruthless domination they are used to in the Off-oremise here.
          With any bar or draft account that had 5 taps the total deposit is $50($10 per keg) if it were $100 a keg the total is $500. Bar owners can not afford that.
          If A-Braised deposits Miller and co. would take enough taps to make loosing kegs cheaper.
          Tracking and dilligent records are the only defence.
          On-Star for kegs?

Comment

Working...
          X