10bbl recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10bbl recipes

hello..i appreciate any help i can get. just curious...how many pounds of malt (on average) go into a 10bbl batch of beer?

im brewing at home (only 5 gal) and wonder if same proportions can be kept...but i figure larger systems are much more efficient in use of grain

for a pale ale, for example, how many pounds of base malt would you need?

thanks!

A difficult question to answer specifically due to variances one might experience when using a ten barrel system and the associated efficiencies. However, you could expect to use around 700 lbs. of malt for a pale ale of about 13 Plato. The base malt could vary as well but you might see pale malt comprise 80% of the total grist. If brewing a bigger beer the grist may increase a little bit but my experiences have forced me to reduce the brew size because the grain bed is too deep in the mash tun and the efficiency has already been maximized. Hope this information helps!
    Mike Jordan
    Brewmaster
    Boxing Cat Brewery
    Shanghai, P.R. China
    michael@boxingcatbrewery.com

Comment

We use about 230 kg of Pale base malt in our 10bbl batch of Pale Ale, and it comprises about 86% of the grain bill. Target OG is 1.051.

However, the total amount of grain required depends on the style and all that entails ... so, the total grain bill can vary between 200kg and 400kg+.

Comment

thanks guys for your help! very interesting!

Comment

Working...
        X