Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Meheen users unite!

Meheen Fill Head Tubing

Does anyone know the McMaster Carr part number for the tubing required for 3/8 ID tubing? I believe the correct dimensions are 5/16 x 9/16

Pre-Sparge for Meheen

Someone asked me the other day about my pre-sparge setup for our 2007 6-head 12oz Meheen. Thought I'd post on this group since it is a fantastic resource for Meheen owner.

With this set up we can get our DO from packaging down to between 60 - 80ppb using a double evacuation (our model does not allow for any adjustment beyond a double evac...at least for now)

The sparger is basically a bunch of 5/32" push connect tees strung together to minimize a pressure differential across bottles. I rigged up an extra SMC pneumatic valve to provide CO2 to the sparger. This SMC is activated when the fill valve is opened (just split the air line using a tee).

To minimize the differential, start with one 5/32" tee connected to a 5/32" to 1/4" reducer, the 1/4" line feeds to the SMC valve and should provide adequate CO2 flow. From this first 5/32" tee you are going to add two more 5/32" tees; these tees will be connected to the final manifold as pictured (left side of manifold pictured).

I added a few cm of 5/32" hose to go into the bottles. When the fill head goes down the next row in line gets a good sparge before being advanced for filling. You may have to muck about with the CO2 pressure. I found that 25psi works best.

Cheers,

Mark

Name:  IMG_4773.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  85.0 KBName:  IMG_4772.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  89.3 KBName:  IMG_4774.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  90.9 KBName:  IMG_4771.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  86.9 KB

Unhappy Heritage bottles to foreign 12 oz long neck bottle mod

Hi everyone

I am seeing the possibility of picking up a meheen filler fabricated in 2000, unfortunately our brewery is not in North America, so its impossible to get heritage bottles. I've been reading the forum and it seems that at least the crowner bar would have to be replace or spacer added (I think the difference inour available bottle size would make it difficult to just add spacers). The most similar bottles we have available in my country are 2.5 cm taller than the heritage bottles and the bottles we are currently using are 3 cm taller. Also US Long neck bottles seem to be slightly taller than our long neck bottles 0.5 cm (to for example Coronado, Odell, stone, etc)

In order to get the machine working would we only have to modify the crowner bar? It seems that on the filling side something would also have to be modified but I haven't found much information on this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Pablo

Heritage bottles to foreign 12 oz long neck bottle mod

Pablo,

In addition to the height of the crowning bar, you may also want to consider the impact of switching bottles on the fill height. I would suggest reaching out to the folks at Meheen with the specs for your bottles. They are generally very helpful and will work with you on a solution.

Also, in my opinion you may want to go with a Meheen that is of a more recent vintage then 2000. From first hand experience I can tell you that the Noshok transducers that were probably stock on this year are pretty horrible and the MAC valves used in the pneumatics are not the most robust. Plenty of affordable Meheens of recent vintage out on the market.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondLineBrew View Post
    Pablo,

In addition to the height of the crowning bar, you may also want to consider the impact of switching bottles on the fill height. I would suggest reaching out to the folks at Meheen with the specs for your bottles. They are generally very helpful and will work with you on a solution.

Also, in my opinion you may want to go with a Meheen that is of a more recent vintage then 2000. From first hand experience I can tell you that the Noshok transducers that were probably stock on this year are pretty horrible and the MAC valves used in the pneumatics are not the most robust. Plenty of affordable Meheens of recent vintage out on the market.

Cheers,

Mark

Built it- Thanks for the idea.

I also saw a 35% reduction in TPO
    Cheers
    Joe

Newer Fill Head main block replacement

Anyone out there with an older Meheen (pre 2015) replace there older fill head with the newer version with separate gas and off gas fittings on each fill tube?

If so did you notice any increased throughput or other benefits with the replacement (more even fills, better fills or better capping on foam)?

Thanks

JackK

Hey Jack,
    I replaced our fill head not long ago. I had this conversation with Dave. He stated it was not really an option, as the older machines can not take full advantage and in some cases it may cause problems. Joel
    Joel Halbleib
    COO / Zymurgist
    Goodwood Brewing Co
    636 East Main St
    Louisville, KY
    goodwood.beer

Quote Originally Posted by BrewinLou View Post
    Hey Jack,
    I replaced our fill head not long ago. I had this conversation with Dave. He stated it was not really an option, as the older machines can not take full advantage and in some cases it may cause problems. Joel
    Thanks Joel, Ours is a 2012 6 head.

Well then, another question. We recently switched bottles to one that has a more severe shoulder to neck transition and we are having a really hard time getting consistent acceptable fill levels. Any ideas on adjustments in the interface to make for better fills?

Thanks again

Worth purchasing an old meheen?

I've gotten the opportunity to purchase an old Meheen(-95) for a decent price and is the only thing we can afford right now. Would you buy a Meheen that old? Has the technology of the machine come a long way since? Should I save some more cash for a newer one instead?

Cheers.

Carb loss

We carb our beers to 2.6 vol and tested using the zahm 1000. recently we tested a bottle using a zham 6000. The test stated we were at 2.16 vol. could we have lost that much Carb during bottling? We keep brite head pressure at around 14psi. We are bottling using a new 6 head meheen. I guess I'm curious if it's possiable to really lose that much carb during bottling on the meheen and how much over my desired carb level should I be shooting for to compensate for packaging loss.
    Last edited by NatchezBrew; 08-05-2017 at 03:17 PM.

Buy it if you're handy.

mtn

Quote Originally Posted by Davbus View Post
    I've gotten the opportunity to purchase an old Meheen(-95) for a decent price and is the only thing we can afford right now. Would you buy a Meheen that old? Has the technology of the machine come a long way since? Should I save some more cash for a newer one instead?

Cheers.

4 head cap tray

Getting my '98 4 head ready to roll and am in need of a cap tray. Anyone have a good recommendation or should I just go through Meheen?

mtn

I found that a 1/4 sheet pan works great!

mtn
    Last edited by Mtnmann; 09-06-2017 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Resolved it myself.

1999 4-head manual

Anyone out there have a 1999 manual in pdf you could send me? Mine has gotten splashed enough over the years it's getting hard to decipher and I don't have a digital copy.

mtn

PM me your email address and I can help you out.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617