No announcement yet.

Meheen users unite!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to rev up the Meheen thread again! We just received our (new to us) 6-head meheen. It is about 10 years old, but is in great shape. One issue is that we are missing the submersible pump for sanitizing and cleaning. Anyone have any info on what this pump is and where I can buy one?

Thanks in advance!

Andrew
    Andrew Godley
    Parish Brewing Co.
    Broussard, Louisiana

Comment

• This little guy works pretty well for us.

Looking for 115V AC, Compact Submersible Centrifugal Pump? Find it at Grainger.com®. With over one million products and 24/7 customer service we have supplies and solutions for every industry.
      Joel Halbleib
      Partner / Zymurgist
      Hive and Barrel Meadery
      6302 Old La Grange Rd
      Crestwood, KY
      www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

• Andrew,

We got a little paranoid about reusing the same sanitizer so we rigged it up so that we could fill kegs full of sanitizer and then just jet the bottles using a keg coupler. We would fill up a few kegs at the beginning of the shift and let the sanitizer from the bottles go to the drain.
        Linus Hall
        Yazoo Brewing
        Nashville, TN
        www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

• Originally posted by lhall
          We got a little paranoid
          Haha, yes. That is a total paranoid move, and I do the same kind of stuff around here. I like the technique, but I also think if we keep things clean we can use a bucket of something like saniclean or starsan or whatever for a long time without it losing its killing power. Were you concerned about debris or just losing sanitizing ability and pH?
          Last edited by ParishBrewingCo; 12-01-2011, 01:53 PM.
          Andrew Godley
          Parish Brewing Co.
          Broussard, Louisiana

Comment

• Thanks Joel! Does this motor size provide enough flow? (we have the 24 bottle station for the 6-head)

Andrew
            Last edited by ParishBrewingCo; 12-01-2011, 01:53 PM.
            Andrew Godley
            Parish Brewing Co.
            Broussard, Louisiana

Comment

• Well, we were rerunning a lot of bottles that were extreme low-fills or missing caps, and the sanitizer was getting dirty with beer pretty quickly. So rigging up something to let the sanitizer go to the drain was what we came up with.
              Linus Hall
              Yazoo Brewing
              Nashville, TN
              www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

• Originally posted by ParishBrewingCo
                Time to rev up the Meheen thread again! We just received our (new to us) 6-head meheen. It is about 10 years old, but is in great shape. One issue is that we are missing the submersible pump for sanitizing and cleaning. Anyone have any info on what this pump is and where I can buy one?

Thanks in advance!

Andrew
                Hi Andrew,
                We found a very acceptable alternative at our local greenhouse/fountain supply. Get a submersible fountain pump. You can size it for your needs. I suggest getting the biggest horsepower they have.

prost!
                dave
                Glacier Brewing Company
                406-883-2595
                info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

• Alright guys... here's another item I'd appreciate any guidance on - the CO2 regulator I should use with my Meheen. I have a house line running from a bulk tank at 95psi that I will have to step down. Any suggestions on the regulator I should consider? Taprite has a 5/16" inlet, through, and outlet that could work. It is just a standard draft regulator otherwise. I am concerned that this kind of regulator will not provide enough flow.

Thanks in advance for your input.
                  Andrew Godley
                  Parish Brewing Co.
                  Broussard, Louisiana

Comment

• Ours has a spray manifold after the capper. Just a bar with 2 nozzles that has a hose on one end that is hooked up to a water source. Piece of cake. It's mounted on the steel frame that holds up the crown sorter and chutes. Ours is a 2001 model and I think the spray bar was on there from the factory, but I'm not certain.
                    Andrew Godley
                    Parish Brewing Co.
                    Broussard, Louisiana

Comment

• If your unit has a bottle washer on it, how about T-ing in to the bottle washer supply? Then, whenever the bottler washer is activated, so is the post-fill rinser. We have the rinser installed on our six-head but never really used it.

Prost!
                      Dave
                      Glacier Brewing Company
                      406-883-2595
                      info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

• The stock spray bar option on the Meheen was keyed off of some event that happened only while the capper was down - the fill valve solenoid maybe?
                        Linus Hall
                        Yazoo Brewing
                        Nashville, TN
                        www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

• Taps, what year model is your Meheen? We built a bottle washer with parts from the hardware store, we put a T in the air line to pnumatic piston on the push plate for the bottles, added a solinoid valve for it to control the on off of the water, so water comes on bottles push thru the spary water goes off, works great and it was pretty cheap...I can post pic's if my rample is confusing.

Michael

Comment

• Bottling out of single walled bright tank...?

I noticed on the Meheens list of Do's and Don'ts the say not to bottle out of a single walled BT in a walk in cooler. I'm researching getting a bottling line for my brewpub and this would be the only option for me. Does anybody have any experience doing this or know why I shouldn't

Cheers!

el

Comment

• For bottling, the colder the beer the better as you probably well know. Unfortunately we only have one jacketed brite tank so we have to bottle fairly often from grundy tanks in our walk in cooler. Yes it does work and at 2.6 volumes too. But we will often have to run the Meheen slower. We keep our cooler at about 46 F. We had a few times where the beer wouldn't stay in the bottle so we either couldn't do it or we had to knock out some carbonation.
                              One tip: Bottle immediately after filtering/pushing the beer from the FV to the brite/serving tank, when the beer is still cold. Also keep the hose run short, snift to a low pressure in the bottle and slow down that fill rate.

Comment

• Thanks,

I actually talked to Dave M. and he said the new models can be adjusted to successfully bottle out of a cooler by slowing down head pressure release and such.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                                X