Head Brewer Salary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Brewer Salary

Can anyone tell me a salary range for a head brewer for a 150 seat brew pub in a average size city.

50-60K/year + Bonus.

Comment

This seems a little high as I know of no brewers in Portland (both pub and production brewers) making this sort of wage.
      Mike Jordan
      Brewmaster
      Boxing Cat Brewery
      Shanghai, P.R. China
      michael@boxingcatbrewery.com

Comment

I'm with Mike on that. More like $30k - $45k, and there are definitely guys out there making less!

Cheers, Tim

Comment

Can't remember where I read this, but it seems the AVERAGE salary is somewhere around $45,000/year. Of course, some make more, some less...that's why it's an average.=-)
          BrewerTL

Comment

The cost of living in Portland, Oregon is a little different then New York City. Your brewer needs a living wage. Pay them at least as much as your chef. You get what you pay for.

Comment

I agree as most head brewers are underpaid, however I do consider Portland to be an average size city so I think the information is very relevant. I cannot imagine living in NYC and not making at least 60K. Good luck!
              Mike Jordan
              Brewmaster
              Boxing Cat Brewery
              Shanghai, P.R. China
              michael@boxingcatbrewery.com

Comment

I know of a brewer when he was hired at a brewpub (400 bbls a year) started at between 30-32k. I know of another brewer that started at another brewpub in the same state with production close to 500bbls and he was started off at $10 an hour.

I'll ask a more direct question, what's a fair rate for a brewer at a 500bbl brewpub?
                Cheers,
                Mike Roy
                Brewmaster
                Franklins Restaurant, Brewery & General Store
                5123 Baltimore Ave
                Hyattsville,MD 20781
                301-927-2740

Franklinsbrewery.com
                @franklinsbrwry
                facebook.com/franklinsbrewery

Comment

Dufus-es! Im trying to raise the bar for all brewers and you pull the rug out from under me! If you start out low (30K) you have no where to go but downhill! Next time a new poster asks a salary question lets show some solidarity ok? Everyone will make more money in the end!
                  Last edited by zbrew2k; 08-14-2005, 08:50 AM.

Comment

I'd really like to see how much the chef/kitchen managers are making, and how much profit they're bringing into a brewpub, versus the brewmaster! I know for a fact that during my brewpub days I was getting paid considerably less than the chefs, yet they made much of their profits from the beer I brewed!

Cheers, Tim

Comment

Can't compare to a kitchen chef.

Our Chef works 60 hours a week. Our Brewer worked 30 hours a week (that is all he needed to work to get the job done). We now have to replace him and probably will offer 40K, plus health benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by newyorknewyork
                        Our Chef works 60 hours a week. Our Brewer worked 30 hours a week (that is all he needed to work to get the job done). We now have to replace him and probably will offer 40K, plus health benefits.
                        If the brewing production work only takes 30 hours a week, I'd want my brewer to then spend 10 hours a week helping promote the beer, training the staff, working as a host one night, even bartending a little. If your Chef works 60 hours a week, you might consider hiring a sous chef to take some of the load off! You're gonna burn him out.

And even if the only thing your brewer does is make beer, you still have to ask yourself how much money his product makes for you. Last time I looked, living in NYC is an expensive proposition!

Cheers, Tim

Comment

Salarys found easily

Log on to www.monster.com and check out thrie salary statistics for every job out there. they give low median and high salary ranges and low med and high bonus rates as well. For just about any city in the world. It's a good tool!

Comment

Our Brewer worked 30 hours a week (that is all he needed to work to get the job done). We now have to replace him and probably will offer 40K, plus health benefits.
                            I aggre with TIM, Sounds like a fair deal but NYC is expensive. I'd want to be paid a little more and work a full weeK.
                            to-zbrew2k, Nice try- A brewer is worth as much as a chef on a hourly basis. But IF I wanted to work those hours i'd be a chef.....
                            Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
                            tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
                            "Your results may vary"

Comment

Like the wise man once said: You pay peanuts, you get the monkey.
                              Cheers & I'm out!
                              David R. Pierce
                              NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
                              POB 343
                              New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Working...
                              X