brew kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brew kettle

What is the best value on the market for a good 15 bbl brew kettle?

Find something with an internal boiler and bottom jackets. Steam Heated. That way you can ensure a proper boil. It is one step of the process you should not skimp on! You will definitely get what you pay for. Ideally you should whirlpool in a separate vessel too. You can wp in a kettle but....

JVNW
    Specific
    DME

Comment

Thanks! What are some of the drawbacks to whirlpooling in your brew kettle?

Comment

Time, mostly.............and vessel dynamics. Whirlpools tend to be larger in diameter and can be screened on the bottom........and then used as a hopback.

Comment

Would you recommend a combination whirlpool/hopback, or a stand alone hopback? (figuring on a 15 bbl system)

Comment

Using a whirlpool/hopback depends on your budget, and production volume. If you are a brewpub, well, look at a Lauter tun over the whirlpool. If you are a production brewery (packaging) use a separate vessel, as a 3 vessel combination brewhouse is probably a bit pricier.

Comment

My plan is for production. A 15 bbl system is coming together. Question: At what rpm should a 60" diameter vessel operate?

Comment

RPM's for what? Mash agitator, Lauter tun rakes, or ?

Comment

Specs on each. Two of the large tanks I am getting are already equiped with agitators. If the motors and gearboxes are not compatible, I need to choose ones that are from other equipment.

Comment

Slow on the mash agitator, Ideally set that up with a variable Freq. drive controller so you can adjust the RPM's. There is a limit, and its in the Kunze brewing book . I can't remember it at the moment. I'm guessing it was less than 30 rpm's for mash mixing. Although it depends on your mash mixing agitator, some are more efficient than others. Slower is better.

Lauter tun: 1 revolution in 2.5-3 min should be slow enough for lautering and not disturbing, just cutting the bed. You will need a higher RPM for grain out. That depends on your plowing system and how big your motor will be.
                    Last edited by zbrew2k; 08-14-2005, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Thanks a bunch! I will definitely need to change the gear box on the lautering tun to slow it up a bit. Great advice to use a variable speed controller, there are some available that I had not thought to procure until now. Really appreciate the help.

Comment

Working...
                      X