Source for rupture disks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for rupture disks

I'm looking to replace the "RUPTURED rupture disks covered with plastic wrap" that came with my fermenters when I bought them used. I did a Google search for "rupture disks" and got a huge number of possible suppliers for these - so availability is not the reason for the post... just looking for some help on which ones you may use, and what you might consider a fair price.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Last edited by Sir Brewsalot; 08-12-2005, 10:49 AM.

hi,

does it have to be a rupture disc, or can it be a pressure relief valve. or are the discs for vacuum? alfa laval may have something in the way of hygienic rupture discs. what is the process connection? definox makes combo pressure relief/vacuum breakers - they come in 2, 2.5 and 4" diameters from memory.

alex

Comment

Well, both these tanks already have a pressure relief device - good for ~15psi positive and about 2 or 3 psi negative if memory serves. At least one that I have is a Definox.

The disks are just a piece of aluminum (maybe a little thicker than a beer can wall) pressed between two stainless steel rings - 1"x1" in cross section. One of these is a welded on part of the tank, and the other attaches to it w/ 4 allen bolts - similar to a small glass view port assembly.

I have no idea why a second redundant system would be required since the relief valves operate very reliably, and I'm not even sure what the failure pressure is on these things sine there is no printing on them at all.

Maybe I just use a beer can?

Scott

Comment

hi,

the other device is probably for contraction during hot CIP if accidentally followed by cold rinse (or something like that). the definox is only good for preventing collapse during pump down. (i am going through this exact engineering exercise at the moment on some new unitanks we are installing and the definox valves are not adequate for the CIP situation).

cheers,

alex

Comment

That sounds reasonable. Hard to imagine that worst case scenario happening, but I suppose that's what the disk is for.

The material that's in there now is definitely aluminum - not exactly corrosion resistant for this application, which is exactly how it failed.

I tried AlfaLaval, but didn't see anything even close to this application on their website - is there something I'm missing?

Thanks for the help,
          Scott

Comment

hi,

there is a company in the U.S. that supplies these things as well as sanitary vacuum breakers/relief valves. They are called Safety First Technology.

they may have a sanitary version they can supply you. aluminium sounds odd, sure its not very thin stainless?

do your tanks actually need them? (maybe just get a blank made???) were they for over-pressure or vacuum protection? a bit difficult to know maybe if there is not stamp on the disc. you will need to specify operating conditions (pressure, temperature, chemicals). also, let them know the disc will be impacted by a spray ball - i have heard of discs rupturing from this.

cheers,

alex

Comment

FWIW, the first brewpub I worked for, Greenshields in Raleigh, had those things on all the tanks, and they were definitely for preventing tanks from pulling a vacuum and collapsing, having little knife edge things on the inside to cut the surface if it sucked inward. My boss called them frangible disks (you might Google that term to find replacements!).

Cheers, Tim

Comment

JVNW sells them on their website.

Comment

It's an aluminum piece for sure, which is what makes me think it's not original. I can't see a reason to have it with the positive/negative relief the tank already has, so I'll probably just cap it off.

Thanks for the help.
                  Scott

Comment

we have pressure/vacume relief units on several of our tanks. they were made by the frangible disk company. they are no longer in bussiness. the holders are a propietary design. replacements can be found but they are very expensive and will not act as a vacume breaker. we are in the process of cutting them out and replacing them with newer devices.
                    Scott Cramlet
                    Brewmaster
                    Rubicon Brewing Company
                    Sacramento, California

Comment

Working...
                    X