IBD General Cert in Brewing and Packaging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBD General Cert in Brewing and Packaging

I have been thinking about taking this exam from The Institute of Brewers and Distillers and I noticed U Cal Davis has an online class to cover the material.
    My question is..is this qualification worth anything within the brewing industry? I dont know of anyone who has it.

I have taken (and passed) this test several years ago. I think it is a worthwhile test and a great starting point for future qualifications from the IBD. It will test your knowledge and most likely you'll come away with a new understanding of brewing/packaging principles. I'm not sure the class is needed as I received an excellent CD-ROM with the study materials I purchased for the exam. It was a broad spectrum test that I believe is being separated into 2 distinct exams; brewing...packaging. I have met very few people who have taken this exam and was the only to take it at my exam location.

With that....I still think it's nice to have on the resume and until the MBAA/ASBC establishes some sort of qualification standard exam for US brewers the IBD exams are the most accessible for craftbrewers while still being recognized worldwide. I also believe it helped separate myself from other candidates when trying to get a brewer position with a larger brewery.

Hope this helps
    Mike Jordan
    Brewmaster
    Boxing Cat Brewery
    Shanghai, P.R. China
    michael@boxingcatbrewery.com

Comment

I've taken and passed the test as well. I did take the on-line class from UC-Davis and thought is was nicely done, if not a little overpriced. I'm not sure you need to take the class to pass the test, but the class goes into much further detail than is required for just passing the test. I agree that you will come out with a new understanding of the whole brewing process, even if you don't really learn anything new. As far as it meaning something, job wise, it will at larger craft breweries. It will show that your willing to invest a lot of time and energy to learn your craft. As far as small breweries or brewpubs, most people(owners, brewers) will have no idea what this is. The cool thing about it is you get a certificate from the IBD itself, not just UC-Davis. Not to many people can say the have an international certificate.
      Scott Isham
      Harper's Brewpub

Comment

While its nice to have a certificate in brewing, nobody except a few breweries in the UK (ok commonwealth) care. I'm not slamming anyone's hard work in gaining the certificate. It is a good acheivement that you spent about 5-7 thousand $ to get. You should get some return for that investment.

All that counts is when seeking a new job is what you are doing now.

So good luck. I would spend the money on something more useful.

B
        Last edited by zbrew2k; 08-19-2005, 09:18 PM.

Comment

To quote zbrew2k--"While its nice to have a certificate in brewing, nobody except a few breweries in the UK (ok commonwealth) care. I'm not slamming anyone's hard work in gaining the certificate. It is a good acheivement that you spent about 5-7 thousand $ to get. You should get some return for that investment."

It has paid off for me and I didn't have to spend nearly 5-7K. I might have spent 1K including travelling to the exam site. I would disagree in that many breweries acknowledge certificates from the IBD especially the more advanced certificates such as the diploma brewer qualification. The GCBP is a great starting point if you're considering to obtain this qualification in the future.
          Last edited by MikeJordan; 08-19-2005, 10:32 AM. Reason: Looks like the reply quote didn't work
          Mike Jordan
          Brewmaster
          Boxing Cat Brewery
          Shanghai, P.R. China

Comment

hi,

i know that in australia and new zealand the qualifications from the IBD are well regarded. most brewers encourage their people to study for the exams. if you want to do the exam, just pay the exam fee and study on your own. The exam may be ~$200 (not sure) and the revision CD may be equivalent of ~$100 (has the syllabus and past exam papers on it). enrol now and take the exam in november..... (i think that is when the next one is).

if you go well at that, then you can think about doing the next level (diploma in brewing) which is three exams - materials and wort, yeast and beer, packaging and process technology. they can be done all at once, or over three years - a lot of studying, so many people choose to do it over a few years.

alex

Comment

Originally posted by Alex T
              hi,

i know that in australia and new zealand the qualifications from the IBD are well regarded. most brewers encourage their people to study for the exams. if you want to do the exam, just pay the exam fee and study on your own. The exam may be ~$200 (not sure) and the revision CD may be equivalent of ~$100 (has the syllabus and past exam papers on it). enrol now and take the exam in november..... (i think that is when the next one is).

if you go well at that, then you can think about doing the next level (diploma in brewing) which is three exams - materials and wort, yeast and beer, packaging and process technology. they can be done all at once, or over three years - a lot of studying, so many people choose to do it over a few years.

alex
              The cost was a little higher than that. Glad to hear its respected in NZ. I use to live there (6years) working as a pilot and while there I got a nZ passport...maybe Ill head back and brew...would love to go work in Dunedin (maybe for Speights).

Comment

IBD vs other courses / credentials

What exactly is the IBD and how does passing it's exam compare to taking a course from Siebel or American Brewers Guild. Is it that IBD is a more recognized "real" course of study, similar to what you get from UC -Davis?

Comment

The IBD is The Institute of Brewing and Distilling, formerly the IGB and IOB not too long ago. Having done several IBD exams as well as attending Siebel I think they are both important. The Siebel course gives a student some hands on approach for certain modules such as microbiology and lab practices. Attending a Siebel course or any course is very valuable in terms of putting practical brewing to....practice.

The IBD exam is recognized worldwide and I think it suits individuals that are looking for long term career advancement. The IBD exams are not easy and I consider it an extra step that states the individual understands certain principles of brewing.

I took the IBD diploma exam earlier this year at UC Davis (after attending Siebel last summer) and was very impressed that all students of Davis commit to taking the IBD exams upon graduation. I also believe they have a very high pass rate.

For most professional brewers a distance learing course is often the best route for education. It seems most programs have geared at least one course for this segment.

Regardless any brewing education will help and ideally you'll work for a company that values additional coursework and will assist you with the cost.
                  Mike Jordan
                  Brewmaster
                  Boxing Cat Brewery
                  Shanghai, P.R. China

Comment

Automatic pass on the IBD exam.

If you get a degree from Heriot-Watt in Brewing and Distilling, you don't have to take the exam!

Also, if you go to HW, you'll probably shave 5 years off your career by rapidly advancing through the ranks at your brewery. It worked for me, and you should consider it since you are looking at education options to enhace your career.

Plus, how cool is it to say you have a Master of Science Degree in Brewing and Distilling?
                    Steve G

Comment

I got the GCBP a year ago and took the course from UC-Davis. All in all I think you could pass the test without the Davis course if you got the study materials from the IBD. The Davis course is a great introduction to brewing science and is very informative, but it doesn't have much to do with the test. I found it to be more of a distraction from what I needed to learn to pass the test.

Comment

Another piece of information, I just read in The Brewer & Distiller that the last-ever GCBP examination will be held Monday Nov. 21st 2005. So if you want this certification, you had better act quickly!

Comment

I believe they are just changing the name of the certification.

Scott
                          Scott Isham
                          Harper's Brewpub

Comment

Yes...they are changing the name and distinction of the General Cerificate for Brewing and Packaging. The GCBP will now have two seperate modules. One for brewing (GCB) and one for packaging (GCP). The registration date for the next (last) GCBP in November 2005 has long passed, deadline was Aug. 26th, 2005.
                            Mike Jordan
                            Brewmaster
                            Boxing Cat Brewery
                            Shanghai, P.R. China

Comment

I took and passed the GCBP last year at Davis. It cost $1700. not a bad investment. a far cry form $7k

Comment

Working...
                              X