No announcement yet.

confusion about gas for oxygenating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it doesn't specify "sanitary" or "sterile" then it shouldn't be trusted. Personally I would suggest using an aquarium style diaphram pump with a sanitary filter disc in line. No worries about extra moisture, oils, or anything else from the compressor. The filter discs are cheap and easy to replace often. Size according to your applications, but something like these should work.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatchet Jack View Post
      Wyeast disagrees with your theory, gitchegumee, but a brewer would need a D.O. meter to know for sure. Those are expensive.
      I didn't see any conflict between Wyeast and Phillips comments - WY simply say that anything over 10 ppm is mopped up - but as Phillip says, the expense of over production of yeast mass.

Re oxygen grades - as long as the gas does not contain any poisonous or corrosive contaminants, then is can be used. The difference in purity is virtually negligible as far as being able to dissolve circa 9 ppm in "normal" gravity worts, but the gas should be sterilised at point of use, and the injection system sterilised through the complete system from sterilising system (invariably a filter) into the wort main. You are wasting your time buying sterile gas if your injection system is not also sterile.

We used bottled air at one brewery for some beers, bottled food grade oxygen for others (all 1,000 hl + brewlengths) as the brewery compressed air supply was not oil (or odour) free and it was perfectly economical, and less hassle than maintaining purifying kit - even for a big site like that.
      dick

Comment

Originally posted by UnFermentable View Post
        If it doesn't specify "sanitary" or "sterile" then it shouldn't be trusted. Personally I would suggest using an aquarium style diaphram pump with a sanitary filter disc in line. No worries about extra moisture, oils, or anything else from the compressor. The filter discs are cheap and easy to replace often. Size according to your applications, but something like these should work.

https://www.amazon.com/Omicron-20005...ne+filter+disc
        That looks like an interesting idea!! I am just wondering though if those air pumps will be able to create enough air pressure, just looking at them and te biggest one only produces 6.9psi.

I have a 5 barrel system, maybe a small air compressor with one of those sterile filters could work better?

like this:

Or you thin the aquarium pump idea would work?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Surf Money View Post
          That looks like an interesting idea!! I am just wondering though if those air pumps will be able to create enough air pressure, just looking at them and te biggest one only produces 6.9psi.

I have a 5 barrel system, maybe a small air compressor with one of those sterile filters could work better?

like this:

Or you thin the aquarium pump idea would work?

Cheers
          Although you make a good point about the moisture from the compressor. Do you think the low psi i from the diahram pump will be ok?

Comment

Originally posted by Surf Money View Post
            Although you make a good point about the moisture from the compressor. Do you think the low psi i from the diahram pump will be ok?
            I can tell you in most cases it certainly will be enough as I have used this method at previous facilities with great results. The pumps linked offer a wide range of capacity, and you may not be able to get away with a super small one. I don't think you need much pressure to overcome the resistance from the wort. Generally enough to pass a check valve would be more than sufficient. Most aquarium setups would have a check vale to overcome so the pumps generally offer enough to overcome at least some line resistance.

In full disclosure I currently use O2 with a rotometer for flexibility in the aeration dosage. It also allows me to aerate for less time overall. I have just as great of results with this method, but it costs a little more in the end. My regulator is set relatively low, maybe 10 psi or so, and I control flow from the rotometer.

Comment

Recs?

This is a really great discussion! I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good filters/regulators to use on air compressors. I am curious because most of the sterile filters that I have looked at are only rated at 60 psi or so. If you want sterile air for keg use and wort aeration, you would need a filter that can handle 120+ psi.

So that being said, does anyone have an recs on products that can handle that high of a psi as well as be autoclavable or at least create sterile air? Or do people use a different set up, like a filter/regulator at the source (compressor) and an autoclavable filter on the product end?

Any advice on this would be great! Thank you!

Comment

That is not exactly designed for what you want. You do not need an air dryer, and you will have a regulator on the tank. I would try to find an inline CO2 regulator that can handle the flow rate you run at. Cheers.
                Joel Halbleib
                Partner / Zymurgist
                Hive and Barrel Meadery
                6302 Old La Grange Rd
                Crestwood, KY
                www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Working...
                X