Briess Bonlander vs Briess Munich 10L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Briess Bonlander vs Briess Munich 10L

Sourcing ingredients for a new recipe design, and just curious if anyone has compared Briess munich offerings. We're buying supplies from CMG and they do not offer Weyermann malts, which was my first choice for Pilsner and Munich malts. I really don't want to go through another supplier to get Weyermann, so I'm trying to see if I can create the flavor I'm after with either of these Briess. Any experiences (good or bad) using either of these?
    Mike Slone
    Co-Founder, Head Brewer
    23 Brewing Company
    Instagram: @23brewingco - Facebook.com/23BrewingCompany

"Beer is the drink of men who think, who feel no fear nor fetter. Who do not drink to senseless sink, but drink to think the better" - Anonymous

I use Weyermann in all my beers. I have yet to find malt that has the same quality. I know the cost is higher then briess buy you will end up using less malt so becomes a wash.

Comment

Originally posted by brewmaster 2011 View Post
      I use Weyermann in all my beers. I have yet to find malt that has the same quality. I know the cost is higher then briess buy you will end up using less malt so becomes a wash.
      Yeah I really want to use Weyermann, but ordering from another supplier just isn't in the cards for us right now. We're very small and ordering from another supplier would end up costing us way more in the long run because of shipping, because we won't be ordering more than 1 or 2 pallets (42 bags) of grain at any given time, and also need a shipping truck with a lift gate. :|
      Mike Slone
      Co-Founder, Head Brewer
      23 Brewing Company

"Beer is the drink of men who think, who feel no fear nor fetter. Who do not drink to senseless sink, but drink to think the better" - Anonymous

Comment

CMG carries Best Malz (at least out here on the West Coast) so why not give ze ozzer Germanz a try?

FWIW I've been pretty pleased with the Briess GoldPils Vienna, though I've experienced some supply problems with it from CMG.
        Russell Everett
        Co-Founder / Head Brewer
        Bainbridge Island Brewing
        Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

If I would've looked at the price sheet a bit more, I suppose I could have avoided this whole post. German munich is the way I wanted to go. Problem solved.

Have you used the Best Malz Pilsen malt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Mike Slone
          Co-Founder, Head Brewer
          23 Brewing Company

Comment

We use a few of their malts, stuff like Caramel Wheat and their Acid Malt. But I use Weyermann Pils for our year-round Kolsch and Autumn Oktoberkolsch-thing.
            Russell Everett
            Co-Founder / Head Brewer
            Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Weyermann seems to be the reigning champ when it comes to pilsner malt.

Wonder if I could talk to some other semi-local brewers and maybe work out a deal to get weyermann through them?

Mike Slone
              Co-Founder, Head Brewer
              23 Brewing Company

Comment

I'm just wondering how much grain you'd be ordering to remain "small", but yet see shipping only one or two pallets at a time plus a liftgate as an extravagant expense? We mostly use CMG but I'll order enough Weyermann from BSG to round out one pallet. On our 10bbl that works out to about three and a half batches of our Kolsch. Enough to last us two months or so for most of the year. Most breweries around here in the 7 -15bbl range are strapped for space, and will order one or two pallets every week or two as they need them from BSG and CMG. To be fair both their warehouses are about three hours south in Vancouver, so that's only like $65 per pallet shipping. But if it's only a buck or two more a bag to use the malt you want to use, why not use it? I mean, a pallet from CMG is probably going to cost about as much anyway.

But that said, try Briess and Best out and see which one you like. Maybe one or both will work just fine?
                Russell Everett
                Co-Founder / Head Brewer
                Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

We have a very small brewhouse... 1bbl. We're in a small town. So we're looking at around 55-75lbs of grain per batch. Triple batching to fill our 3bbls FVs, we're looking at around 165-225lbs of grain per brewday and hopefully we're brewing 2 days per week. So that comes out to 330-450 pounds per week.... ~1800 pounds per month. Any given pallet of grain is gonna weigh at least 2100 pounds. We don't have the space to store more than 3-4 pallets of grain. Also, we have no loading dock. So a lift gate is a must.

Mike Slone
                  Co-Founder, Head Brewer
                  23 Brewing Company

Comment

I wonder why people buy from CMG instead of directly from Briess.

Is it shipping costs, or ease of getting all supplies, or something else?

I order direct from Briess for 2 reasons:
                    1) the grain is 8-10 cents cheaper per pound.
                    and 2) it costs literally half as much to ship. We are small and require a lift-gate too, no dock.

We only order a pallet or so at a time usually, but it saves us hundreds on each order going direct from the maltster.

Comment

Originally posted by StonesThrow View Post
                      I wonder why people buy from CMG instead of directly from Briess.

Is it shipping costs, or ease of getting all supplies, or something else?

I order direct from Briess for 2 reasons:
                      1) the grain is 8-10 cents cheaper per pound.
                      and 2) it costs literally half as much to ship. We are small and require a lift-gate too, no dock.

We only order a pallet or so at a time usually, but it saves us hundreds on each order going direct from the maltster.
                      I honestly didn't know it was possible to buy direct from Briess. So, for simplicity's sake, let's say you order a full pallet (42 bags) of 2-Row... What is your estimated cost including shipping with a lift gate?
                      Mike Slone
                      Co-Founder, Head Brewer
                      23 Brewing Company

Comment

Roughly speaking based on our experience...

Briess sells 2-row for $0.53/lb and its generally around $0.15/lb shipping for a full pallet, including liftgate. So a 2100# would cost around $1400 to get to our door.

The big savings is when you have to buy less than a pallet load. Briess shipping reflects that. It seems (to me anyway) that whether you buy 200# or 2000#, shipping is the same from CMG, which is generally in the $350-$375 range.

Again, this is based on our experiences. Freight could be more or less from either supplier based on where you are in relation to them.

Comment

Originally posted by StonesThrow View Post

The big savings is when you have to buy less than a pallet load. Briess shipping reflects that. It seems (to me anyway) that whether you buy 200# or 2000#, shipping is the same from CMG, which is generally in the $350-$375 range.
                          Yeesh. Our last CMG order was $125 to ship two pallets. But the warehouse is three hours away. Proximity to raw goods; microeconomics in action!
                          Russell Everett
                          Co-Founder / Head Brewer
                          Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Man, I wish we had that kind of shipping!

I'd say stick with what you got then, don't think you'll get much better. I guess we're probably close to Wisconsin than our CMG warehouse, so it makes sense for us.

Comment

Working...
                            X