Sparging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparging

What are some of the best practices you guys use during sparge.

I have seen some that let the bed run almost dry then start the sparge.

Others keep a few feet of water above the grain bed.

Others only keep a few inches of water above the grain bed.

I would imagine the method effects your final efficiency.

What have you noticed gives you the best efficiency and consistent results?

I think the first two of your examples are too little and too much, respectively. The third is the Goldilocks zone, IMHO. Letting your bed nearly dry up will compact it due to its own weight as the liquid level lowers. Piling too much water on top can also compact the bed if the hydrostatic pressure of water above pushes down on the bed. Keeping just a few inches on top seems to hit speed and efficiency at a nice balance. Good luck!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

I have to disagree about the notion of too much water above grain causing a problem. Since '99 I have used the SOP of getting my full sparge volume in as quickly as possible once run off has started. Have used this process on multiple commercial and home systems with zero issue, my effciencies are consistent and exactly as the manufacturer of my current system (Premier) stated I could achieve.

Comment

I'm with Philip on this one I have heard a couple inches of water is best. If you drain it down all the way you are asking for grain bed compacting and wort channeling. I don't have any experience with a few feet of water on top but I can imagine it would be a decent option. Obviously a lot depends on the design of your tun, and the crush of your grain. Gravity feed is always good when lautering because you don't want a pump to suck down on the grain bed. Use of a grant always helps.

The slower the better

Comment

Working...
        X