Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finings/Clear Beer

Howdy all,
    What are the most effecient finings for a 10bbl micro PRIOR to the filter? I'm looking to "insure" a clear product every time with the plate and frame acting as a polish. Any insight on the products available from the people USING them not SELLING them!

Thanks,
    Dave
    Glacier Brewing Company
    406-883-2595
    info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

We use Klarospane that we get from Gusmer. Great stuff..........a derivative of Irish Moss. We use 4 oz in 7 Bbls and hold the temp down to 34 - 36 F. You should get clarity in 3 days.

Comment

Hi Brian,
      What do you mean "hold the temp down to 36"? After fermentation is done?
      Glacier Brewing Company
      406-883-2595
      info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Yes, after fermentation. We transfer from the FV to a secondary "clarifier" tank prior to kegging/conditioning. At the end of the primary ferment, we crash the FV down to 34 F to do the transfer. The Klarospane is whisked in a bit of 180F water and poured in during transfer, here it mixes with the beer.

Comment

Much will depend on the yeast strain, beer pH, equipment, beer chemistry, etc. Contact suppliers, obtain samples and try them all. Documenting your trials will be your best guide. Start with a good understandanding of your water chemistry, a textbook malt crush, a brilliant vorlauf, Irish moss or some other kettle fining, a tight & compact whirlpool, slow/frequent and consistent trub & yeast removal during/after fermentation, gentle transfers, and lots of aging. I've had good luck with Polyclar products both as kettle finings and as conditioning agents. Isinglass is an effective, traditional conditioning clarifier, but arguably puts your beer into the "non-vegetarian" camp. I doubt you can sterile filter your beer without a prefilter, but on the other hand, you certainly can make an absolutely brilliant beer without any filtration. Good luck! Cheers!
          Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Finings/Clear Beer

HI Brian:

What type of beer we are talking here about? Ale or Lager?
            You said you cool after primary directly to 34 - 36*F.
            We cool after primary to 50*F for 2 days, and get great
            results in clarity and yeast settlement.
            In the past, I used Polyclar for stabilization in Lagers and had great results.

Fred

Comment

Hi, Fred,

We make Ales barring the ever so occassional Lager. We use both Wyeast London and British Ale yeasts with great results with both (when the London was still a good yeast). Since we have a warm dry hop keg aging, we don't diacetyl rest after primary.

Comment

finnings/clarity

HI All:
                I think it would help if we discuss the issue more.
                First, what is the goal: We want to quarantee the wholesalers and foremost the customers a clear and stable beer.
                So, what is your shelflife stability?
                How to you measure the same without an expensive lab?
                Do you use a proteinrest in your mashing regime?
                What is your maturatin time etc.
                I think all of these issues are important to discuss and will help others.

Fred

Comment

Working...
                X