What type of schooling have you had?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shortz
    I have 3 of the above and taking care of #4 this February at Siebel's. I hope it works cause I am also putting my house on it. It's too expensive but the options are not much better. So when you are on thin ice you may as well dance. ...I am also the product of my wife saying I have to do it cause it's a good idea. Damn weak man.
    I realize this post originated over 4 years ago, but found it interesting and still relevant.

BrianU21, I'm not sure if you're still interested in this poll, but for me it's 3 of 4, and will also be working on #4 this Feb. (Shortz - I'll be right there with you at Siebel!) To think that this time last year, I was in the Navy on board a submarine, and now I'm chasing my dream, working at a brewery, and getting a brewing education. I realize I may not get rich in the brewing industry, but I suppose that's not why many of us are in this. After all, I've realized that (at least for me), wealth does not lie in money, but in waking up every day and enjoying what you do - and I LOVE brewing.

So BrianU21 and to everyone out there looking to chase their dreams - Good Luck!!

Cheers/Slainte/Prosit/Salud/etc.

Brian, I'm curious as to your status and to where life has led your pursuit.

Comment

I took a 2-day homebrewing course recently through UC Davis...

Been homebrewing for a little while, and am lucky enough to have a brewer friend that is teaching me on a 10 bbl system...
      Jeff Drum - Brewer
      San Diego Brewing Co.

Comment

Bachelors in Agriculture
        Flight School
        Real Estate Broker
        Several years of home brewing

But there is nothing like starting your own company for on the job training

Comment

Bachelor of Arts, Political Science
          Juris Doctorate
          Master of Science, Public Health

and look where that has led me...
          John Little | Auburn, Alabama
          General Counsel, Southern Farmhouse

Comment

Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineer
            Associate in Arts, Automotive Technology
            NHRA Licensed Driver, Super Comp/Top Eliminator

I've logged over ten years of working in the Aerospace industry as a test engineer doing my best to break flight hardware. Worked hard and put 110% into my job. I've sometimes worked 80hr weeks with a standard salary pay for 40hrs, it just comes with the gig! I've had the stress of being the sole person responsible for holding up first flight planes on the runway with supporting contractors, government workers, and owners standing around and knowing that billions of dollars is just sitting there because our part failed.

Well, I guess I'm at that mid life crises stage in that I very much dislike going to work every day, aerospace that is. I fell into the trace of brewing about 6yrs ago homebrewing and never looked back. I've never been so passionate about one thing before, truly a gift and one that I want to harvest and re-direct my life with.

I just attended ABG this year graduated in June 2010. My wife and I are in full swing to opening up a production brewery in California and pray each and every day that we can pull it off. Things just take more time than expected with our startup and working at my paying job however the ultimate goal of being a brewery owner and head brewer is one that I'll stop at nothing to obtain. Education to me is important, it’s the key that unlock knowledge. With knowledge nothing can stop my dreams!

OK I'll stop, perhaps I got off topic a little bit - sorry.

Brian Schroepfer
            Valiant Brewing Company

Comment

3 of 4...

But I think all of us end up with some on the job training regardless of the rest of the education.

As for college - That mainly happened because the ABG wanted a college degree, So Food Science it was - And it doesn't hurt that UC Davis does offer an emphasis in Brewing Chemistry...
              Manuel

Comment

OJT, homebrewing

Got started homebrewing, got into an Asst. Brewers position and going to be starting ABG this month. Where's all the time gone?
                Walt Chleva
                Dry Dock Brewing Company
                Aurora, CO

Comment

Homebrewing and work would be my answer, but you left out another option. Learning from others that are far more knowledgeable than you. I have met technical brewers that can churn out beer like robots, but when it comes to troubleshooting or altering recipes, they are lost. The best knowledge I possess was acquired through trial & error, asking experienced brewers and hashing out ideas with friends. If you are a passionate, talented, self-educated homebrewer with the drive to go pro, start volunteering as Mash Monkey at your local brewery.

Comment

"I have met technical brewers that can churn out beer like robots, but when it comes to troubleshooting or altering recipes, they are lost."

They are not technical brewers then. They are just operators. A non thinking operator is no use to man nor beast.
                    dick

Comment

I've got a Civil Engineering background (But never finished a degree) and I went into IT later... I'm still in IT but wanting a change... to what I'm passionate about. Brewing (and Beer of course). I started homebrewing way back in college 20 yrs ago, but recently went to using an all automated HERMS system and love it, all grain 10 gallon batches. Been doing that for years now. I got to spend a week brewing at an old army buddies brewery (Its not his, but he works there, timbro on the forums here, at Marshall Brewery in Tulsa OK) They make awesome beer, and I learned a TON in a week, made me realize that I still need to learn like 10 metric tons more, but much thanks to all three at Marshall that helped. Tim, Eric (Owner/Brewmaster) and Taylor such awesome peeps!
                      ~Phil

Comment

Originally posted by dick murton
                        "I have met technical brewers that can churn out beer like robots, but when it comes to troubleshooting or altering recipes, they are lost."

They are not technical brewers then. They are just operators. A non thinking operator is no use to man nor beast.

Well put Dick. I started brewing commercially in 1999 and still learn something new about every other day

Comment

Aota

BSc Microbiology
                          Brewmaster VLB
                          On the job
                          Homebrewing

I started homebrewing in college, and I went to Germany to study brewing after spending 2.5 years getting my boots wet. I think it made the education much more worthwhile, and I am a better brewer because of it. An education/training/experience path that is right for one person might not be right for another. I think each person has to find their own path to determine what will make them the best brewer they can be.

Comment

All of the above. Recently completed Diploma in Brewing & Distilling, should be finished with the MSc by August.

Comment

Working...
                            X