More Pumpkin Ale advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Pumpkin Ale advice

I know most brewers here probably do as we have in the past, slice up the pumpkin and either bake it in the oven or run it through the pizza oven.

This is usually a burden on the kitchen and because of time constraints we have to do it days ahead of time and stor it in the cooler untill brew day.

Here's my thought...................

1.) Precook the pumpkin (just pumpkin) in the mashtunn with near boiling water for however long it takes to cook and soften.
    2.) Drain the tunn slowly then carefully collect the cooked pumpkin into clean trash cans, buckets, ect.
    3.) Do a quick rinse of the tunn to clean out the screens of pumpkin residue then go about mashing in.

Heck, I may even save the "pumpkinny" rinse water or cook water and add that to the mash as I'm mahing in.

Anyone try this? Thoughts? Concerns?

Thanks

JackK

Pumpkin ale revisited

I am doing a Pumpkin Ale next week.
    I read about putting lactose into it for a "pie in a glass"
    What can I expect from using lactose?
    What does it do to the beer?
    How much /BBL do i use and when do I add it?
    Where can I buy Lactose?
    Thanks

Comment

It adds mouthfeel with some moderate sweetness...its not sweet like sugar, but sweet nun the less.

You should be able to get it from your local grain supplier.....I know Crosby Baker and GW Kent have it.

For our sweet stout I add it at the very end of the boil, I know others add it to the primary but like real sugar its tough to get it fully disolved in a lquid that isnt hot.

JackK

Comment

Pie in a glass

How much should I add per bbl?

Comment

I would recommend adding lactose to the last 10 minutes of your boil. I have brewed several different beers using lactose. One beer is an amber beer with 1.75 lbs added per bbl. The milk stout uses lactose more aggressively with about 7 lbs added per bbl. Perhaps a pumpkin ale would be somewhere in between, 3-4 lbs per bbl.

The edible lactose will definitely added some body to the beer and boost the AE as lactose is unfermentable. The lactose we buy comes in 55 lb bags and can be purchased from a company called Univar. I can give you additional contact info if needed. Good luck!
          Mike Jordan
          Brewmaster
          Boxing Cat Brewery
          Shanghai, P.R. China
          michael@boxingcatbrewery.com

Comment

Sooooo.....

Any thoughts on the original question on this thred folks?

I know I will be missing out on some caramelization, but I'm not sure how much of that we actually got anyways.

Thanks
            JackK

Comment

The big guys use cereal cookers as a matter of every day business. I don't see this as any different. I would use the "left over" hot water in the mash to the extent possible. Sounds like the best way to get the job done.
              Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

pumpkin ale

I have been making pumpkin ale for years and havent put a pumpkin in the brewhouse since I was homebrewing.
                I use pumpkin pie spice from Sysco foods. I boil the spices in a pressure cooker (oherwise the arromatics boil away), then run the liquid thru a filter(coffee filter work just fine) because the spices contain a coagulate. Then I dose my amber with the "juice". I have tried to mix all the spices on my own but the premixed stuff has always given me the best results.
                In the beginning on October the phone starts ringing "Pumpkin ale on yet?"
                Mike

Comment

I like real pumpkin and i find baking them off works best for flavor and color. I like that carmelization in the backing pans and I think it breaks it down better than boiling or steeping. I am sure the kitchen staff like beer, right?
                  Also- how can you call it "pumpkin ale" without pumpkin???? Its just spiced beer, and not evan a special recipe. Seems unimmaginitve and simplistic...
                  Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
                  tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
                  "Your results may vary"

Comment

Where to buy lactose in USA?

Hello to all,

Sorry for reviving an old thread. Does any one know a lactose supplier in USA?

Comment

I would think either of the two major grain suppliers carry it (mid country and Brewers Supply)

Comment

crosby & baker also carries lactose.
                        Hutch Kugeman
                        Head Brewer
                        Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
                        Hyde Park, NY

Comment

I will give them a call thank you Sauce

Besides, does anyone in here have experience mixing syrups with beer and then bottle it? (like berliner kindl) I am working on a sweet wheat beer and I do not know how to get it without affecting the ABV %. I just want to sweeten the beer and not to increase the alcohol level.

I have heard different options like filtering the beer to get rid off the yeast and then adding the syrup but that may affect the cloudiness that i want to keep from wheat. Another option is mashing at higher temperatures to get more non fermentable sugars but mashing at higher temperatures may not seem the way to go in order to get the sweetness I want.

I have started to considering adding potassium sorbate to avoid a new fermentation and then wait for an overnight and then adding the syrup (similar to winemaking)....Have you ever you used, read or tried potassium sorbate in beer?

Comment

why not back off some base malt and add honey malt to the list?? get the sweetness and keep the abv??

Comment

Originally posted by McNatt
                              why not back off some base malt and add honey malt to the list?? get the sweetness and keep the abv??

Because I dont want that nutty flavor on my beer. I just want my beer tastes to the syrup I add

Comment

Working...
                              X