DE vs. Plate filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DE vs. Plate filter

I am looking to buy a filtering system, and was wondering if I could get some feed back. What are some of the pros and cons of these two systems. Also which system seems to work best and take up less time?

Thanks
    Kyle

It depends on your brewery size, to an extent. Smaller (<7 BBL) systems are better with plate/frame filters, while those over 20 BBL may prefer DE. It also depends on your beer style, yeast strain, and desired result. I prefer DE. Properly done, it is quick and relatively straightforward while leaving beer brilliantly bright and ready for final sterile filtration. The big guys use DE. On the downside, it may take much practice and frustration to learn filter operations well. Nobody likes working with, or cleaning up after DE. Both options use throw-away media, both require scrupulous cleaning/sterilizing, both represent substaintial capital. In smaller brewpub settings where most beer is consumed on-site, I wouldn't even filter. You can make a brilliant beer without filtering, and some would argue that it tastes better. Good luck. Cheers!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Thanks gitch, I appreciate the feedback. I have a 7BBL brewery that will be opening in April. I think I agree with you on not filtering at first. Thanks

Kyle

Comment

What he said...........

Kyle,
        I'm with gitch..........we've run our 7 Bbl facility for 11 years without filtering by just using finings (Klarospan) in a secondary. It has always worked if the yeast is behaving.

However, I have seen plate and frames used in larger Breweries than 7 Bbl, and I would be inclined to agree again with gitch, they are easier. We borrowed one in our 7 Bbl to filter a hazey lager.............bad idea due to the fact the yeast haze was too heavy, causing the filter to blind. You still need to clarify the beer to pass it through a filter our the media will clog.

Comment

filtration

Brian:

Are you packaging your beers which are cleared with Klaospan?
          What is Klaospan?
          Thanks.
          Fred

Comment

Fred,

Klarospan is Polyproylene Alginate...........a gellitin fining made from Irish Moss and distilled out with Proylene Glycol (yes, it has other uses, believe it or not). It is one of the best "synthetic" finings I've seen for everyday use in the brewing environment..............just mix with hot water and dose it in.

We keg our beers, but do not bottle. We've been using Klarospan for years and dose 4 oz / 7 Bbls. It settles out quite quickly in cold beer and forms a "yeast goop" on the bottom of the secondary that looks like DAP hand cleaner.........about the same consitency.

Comment

clear beer

Thanks Brian

Fred

Comment

Working...
              X