Protein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protein

We seem to be getting a lot for protein in our kettle. We have not changed malts nor has our process changed. Even early in the boil at times we can skin off what I imagine is protein. It has the consistency of tofu. We have a 3bbl electric kettle and there is so much that it loads up on the elements and we have had smoke bubbling out in our boil. Needless to say we had to dump it. Any ideas of what might have changed or what we can do to limit it? We boil 90 minutes. Thanks

What's your process for cleaning those electric elements? Caked on protein can hide on the underside or back side of the elements that look clean from the top. Maybe that's what's scorching?

Comment

TonyT we pull them after each brew and soak them over night in acid then scrub them. They are almost new when they go back. There is little doubt that it is a build up during boil. Today it was just hanging off them after we were finished. We have brewed over 60 times and it has only just started in the last few brews. I looked at the malt but the tag seemed ok. Rahr Pilsner is the main problem.

Comment

Try caustic to clean elements. Something like Super CIP. Also use ultra low density elements.

Comment

We run a caustic cycle with the elements in then soak them in acid (KSM-10). The problem is in the boil (I think). The elements are clean when we start.

Comment

We literally just had the same issue happen to us on our 7bbl Electric kettle. 19 brews in and not one issue, brew # 20 started to smoke at kettle full - had to dump the beer.

We also were getting huge tofu like hockey puck sized protein break and somehow for all the other batches, they never stuck to the elements. I've asked around to my equipment supplier and chemical supplier and hopefully (we will see how the next brew goes) we have sorted this out.

-we were roaring the wort to a boil just as it covered the elements - I'll now be waiting until kettle full to achieve active boiling.
            - we also changed our base malt for the dumped beer to cmc pils - truth be told we got the same huge protein hunks from our usual Great Western Pale Ale malt also.

How are you bringing up your wort to boil? Waiting till full or just after the elements are covered?

Comment

Working...
            X