No announcement yet.

Slow run off and clumps in the kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everyone for your posts. I'll write a response after I track a few of your ideas down.

Comment

What about raking?

How often, how fast, and how deep are you raking? Many systems do not allow you to raise or lower the rakes so you may be disturbing the bed too much. Also, the design of the rakes will impact the method of raking you use.

Ensure that you rake very slowly and keep at least 6 to 8 inches of grain under the rakes to ensure minimal disruption of the bed. Through experimentation you should be able to find the "sweet spot" for the frequency and depth to rake at with your system.

Happy Lautering,
      Aaron

Comment

Regarding the lautering issues: since you didn't always have this problem, and didn't mention any intentional changes in your lautering process, I wonder whether there's a buildup of crud on your lautering screens. If so, that could cause the gaps to be narrower so you can't get a nice smooth runoff, which could be causing your other lautering problems.

Comment

Maltsters will deny it until they're blue in the face, but it DOES happen that a new shipment of malt will perform dramatically worse than normal. I've seen it several times in my career--the only variable is a new shipment of malt, same milling, same water, same mashing, etc.--and lautering time doubles or worse.

This has happened even though everything was "in spec", including glucans, but clearly something in the malt was at fault. And when the bad malt is brewed, I've always seen strange protein oddities in the wort.

It can be dramatic, malt companies always deny it's their fault, and usually the next shipment of malt magically clears up the problem.

As a famous brewing scientist told me once, if there's some malt that's slightly hinky who do you think is going to get it? Certainly not AB...
          Last edited by pennbrew2; 12-08-2005, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X