Brewing Lagers - Homebrew vs Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CharlosCarlies View Post
    Our fermentation schedule is pretty similar. We use W-34/70, pitch at ~50F and let rise up to 55F where it stays until we're 1-3P from expected final gravity. There we'll cap the tank and let the temp rise up to 65F for a 2-3 day diacetyl rest before crashing. We've been able to pull plenty of yeast immediately after hitting final gravity, but that could be strain dependent.
    Bumping this thread since I am looking to use (and reuse) this yeast. Are you saying that you harvest at FG at ~65F? How is the slurry and the harvest? How much can you pull and what size system you on?

What temperatures do others harvest their lager yeasts at?
    Dave Cowie
    Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
    Nevada City, CA

Comment

As far as doing a diacetyl rest, I agree with it, but I am a bit puzzled as to how to get to that particular temp. Even if you plan to rest at 1-2 degrees plato before final gravity, is that enough for the yeast to warm up say 15+ degrees? I am doing a homebrew version of a pils and fermenting it at 50. Ramping up the temperature for 15 gallons of beer is simple, but doing it on the commercial scale is what puzzles me. Any advice?

Also, naturally carbonating a lager. Typically I will close off my tank at around 1 degree plato left during fermentation and capture that co2. How is this typically done for lagers? I love the mouthfeel that natural carbonation can provide, especially in a pils.

Comment

Working...
      X