Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeast makeup

Originally posted by Sauce
    well, I found a local composter/ fetilizer operation that may be interested in the yeast.

He asked me what was the "chemical makeup" of the yeast.

Anyone want to take a stab at a discription?....other than yeast being a single celled organism rich in vitamin B......mixed with a bit of alcohol?

Thanks

JackK
    Just go to the local health food store and check the brewers yeast label for nutrients. Also any chemicals that may be present that you use should also be noted as they may affect the organisms that produce compost!
    Doug A Moller
    Brewmaster
    The Moller Brew House
    (405)226-3111

Comment

These days, all my excess/unusable yeast and kettle trub goes to a local urban farm. They do worm composting with it. Never could get the bakery source worked out quite right...maybe too much hop sediment in with it?

I know the trub is likely high in protein and I'd guess the yeast is as well...but I'm no chemist. I just know that this mix kick-starts my personal compost bin rather nicely.

Cheers,
      Scott

Comment

Composition of Brewery Sludge

I have an article that describes the the composition of Brewery SLudge in detail and its use in composting. I can't attach it to the forum as its a bit large, but I'll gladly email it to you. Email me at NSZeigler AT gmail DOT com if you want it.

Comment

Ziggy,

Email on its way!

Thanks for the info!

JackK

Comment

Bumping this topic back up to the top after seeing Monlight's post....

Maybe some of our newer members have some thoughts

Comment

ocean dump

Dump it in the ocean! Seriously, if you're close to the ocean you can possibly make an arrangement with a trawler/fisherman/etc. I haven't done this but it could be an option. It may sound farfetched but all ships routinely dump sewage (legally)when greater than 3nm from land. The fishies love it. They also dump processed food waste i.e. ground up chicken bones etc.

Comment

There isn't really a way to stop yeast settling apart fom having high flow rates. Killing it isn't going to make it any less liable to settle. So realistically, if you have poor drainage, then either you will have to immediately flush out ith vast quantities of water at high flow rates, or ship it off site by other means.

Formic acid / popionic acid mix works well for killing yeast prior to selling for animal feed - don't ask me what concentration. I have long since forgotten this level of detail
                dick

Comment

The food processors we used to sell spent yeast to would heat it to lyse it. I lifted this from Wikipedia:
                  "In the food industry, autolysis involves killing the yeast and encouraging the breakdown of the cells by enzymes. It is used to give different flavors. For yeast extract, when this process is triggered by the addition of salt, it is known as plasmolysis."
                  Anyway, it's a shame to dump something valuable with such a high BOD/COD down the drain. Hope you can find a way to use it.
                  Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Yeast as Feed

I had a beef farmer feed yeast to his cattle after checking with the local extension office. He was told 4% yeast was ok in feed. We only tried a few times but we found it too difficult to mix without rakes in the mash tun to mix the yeast completely with spent grain. I plan to question the vet school myself before trying again. We mixed our own horse feed and added about a pint of slurry to each 35 lb batch of feed. It worked well until the summer heat made the feed mold from too much moisture.
                    James Ray
                    Railyard Brewing Co.
                    Montgomery, AL

Comment

Ruminants (ie cows) should have no problem with live yeast at a reasonable level. They already have multiple fermentations going on in their stomachs anyhow. Yeast don't significantly disrupt their natural flora. I know this from studies at the university I attended.

I also remember that cows fed live yeast were significantly better at dealing with heat stress and had significantly easier calving.

Taking samples from a fistulated cow was interesting.

Here's an abstract of a recent article.

Monogastrics (ie horse, pigs) may not fare so well with live yeast.

Check with a large animal vet if you want peace of mind.

Pax.

Liam
                      Last edited by liammckenna; 10-28-2010, 12:36 PM.
                      Liam McKenna
                      www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Yeast disposal

I have heard of adding it directly to hot spent grain which kills it and then you are left with the vitamins intact for the animals to digest. This will also help you with the sewer dept complaints!

\
                        Michael Uhrich
                        Carter's Brewing

Comment

...or sell it to a food processor, or give it to a bakery, or compost it, or... At the very worst, you could solid-landfill it rather than dump it down the drain.
                          Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

yeast annihilation

Trying to revive this thread again. We recently had a 500 gallon yeast annihilation bin built with a heating element port. At what temperature can I assure that all of the yeast is dead before disposing of it.
                            Justin Moore
                            Head Brewer of Good Times
                            Red Lodge Ales Brewing Co.
                            Red Lodge, MT 59068

Comment

90 c will sterlize almost anything so start there.

Comment

Working...
                              X