Confined entry/ Permitted space program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confined entry/ Permitted space program

I've been looking everywhere for a brewery-specific confined space/permitted entry plan. Does anyone have one they'd like to share?

Just trying to stay ahead of the OSHA man....
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

I would think any confined space class would work. I have attended more than I can count and they have all been very generic not specific to any industry. You would need to make your own SOP for entering a confined space. Most common is a log sheet with name and time of person who has entered and having a hole watch. Air Monitoring of the space before entry.

Comment

If at all possible, I would just work to avoid any entrance into confined spaces at all.

I recently changed SOPs so that we don't get into any confined space vessels on a regular basis, where we used to get into the kettle, mash tun and lauter tun on a regular basis, with all three technically being permit vessels.

I purchased an extendable spray gun with pivoting nozzle to clean out our 30bbl tanks and it works well enough to make me feel good about cleaning and saving the risk. It also eliminates all need for a second brewhouse person for us, which is a big plus, leaving our guys to be able to do other things.

In my experience, you might sacrifice a small amount of cleanliness by not getting in, but a CIP gets these vessels clean enough for hot side operations to make the dangerous confined space work not worth it.

And if you are entering fermenters on a regular basis, I would definitely work to try to eliminate that with different cleaning operations.

Comment

I ran into out 12 years the OSHA issue about 12 years ago. We was going to get the BIG fine unless we could produce our confined space data. I went to our local oil field welding company who BTW did work for us for beer got there documents and had them typed up with our letterhead ect. LOng story short it satisfied OSHA. The OSHA guy was pretty good to work with about it and I actually brought him in to teach forklift safety class and to walk around the brewery for a kind of inspection.

It was a good learning lesson and I always knew that I would have no problem if an actual inspection came around (never did). One note was if you even stick your head into a confined space vessel technically you need to run the full confined space protocol. So, be careful what you do when the business is open
        Mike Eme
        Brewmaster

Comment

Thanks, everyone.

I wish we could eliminate all confined space entry, but, ironically, I have to occasionally enter the kettle--definitely permit space--to maintain the CIP system. The nozzles get clogged with hops and have to be removed and cleaned about twice a year. Other than that, we don't go into anything except the lauter tun, which isn't a permit space.

Beerguy--you've given me an idea--thanks.
          Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
          Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
            Thanks, everyone.

I wish we could eliminate all confined space entry, but, ironically, I have to occasionally enter the kettle--definitely permit space--to maintain the CIP system. The nozzles get clogged with hops and have to be removed and cleaned about twice a year. Other than that, we don't go into anything except the lauter tun, which isn't a permit space.

Beerguy--you've given me an idea--thanks.
            This should be a good start for you.

Even rare entry must be covered off by this type of procedure.

....never mind.

Tried to upload it but at a mere 353 kb, it was refused by probrewer.

I will try to email it to you.

Pax.

Liam
            Liam McKenna
            www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

OSHA has an eTool to help you write a confined space program.

Comment

Thanks!

Uh, Windows Access 97? What millennium is our government living in?
                Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
                Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Thanks!

The second, obviously

Comment

Thanks!

Have you ever tried to use COLAs Online?
                    Russell Everett
                    Co-Founder / Head Brewer
                    Bainbridge Island Brewing
                    Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Thread bump and more info

more discussion on Confined Space Entry Program. To summarize: If you have your confined spaces identified and labeled, and nobody will ever be issued a permit/allowed to enter the Permit Required Confined Space (PRCS), you do not need a written program.

The flip-side:
                      The second any part of your body breaks an invisible plane on PRCS entry point, you have just "entered" and need to have a written Confined Space Entry Program. Reaching a hand into a manway can be entering, and you had better have your permit and environmental monitoring showing safe breathing

Comment

Working...
                      X