Using Recycled/Reclaimed Water for Irrigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Recycled/Reclaimed Water for Irrigation

We're a small (5BBL) start-up brewpub and are interested in using the waste water from the brewery side of things for landscape irrigation. So far, I've contact numerous government agencies trying to get the guidelines/permitting process figured out and have been unsuccessful. It seems no one I've encountered has had this question posed to them before and they don't seem to know what the procedure is. While I keep trying to navigate the morass that is our wonderful government, I thought I'd post to see if there are any other brewpubs or micros that are doing something similar and how they went about it.

Cheers,
    --
    Don

I think Taylor Smack at Blue Mountain in Nelson County, Virginia could help you; he posts here (I think as TSmack, maybe you could message him) also the people at Prodigal Brewery at Misty Mountain Farm, in Effingham NH, the co-owner posts at BeerAdvocate as "Beergrrl". I think their website is www.prodigalbrewery.com. Blue Mountain is a big operation, with a tasting room/restaurant IIRC, so a whole lot of different waste streams; Prodigal does not even have tours, so a much more limited set of waste water issues. So these two may sort of bracket your anticipated operation.

Sorry I don't have specifics of your situation, but I would guess the state water quality department would be the place to start, though that's probably the first place you looked!

Comment

Thanks for the reply! I finally got in touch with someone at the Water Resources Board and he gave me the guidelines for what I need to do. It's actually going to be a lot simpler than I imagined because we're only going to run the brewery waste water and not any of the restaurant's water or the sewage through the system. We will have to keep the TDS below 400-450, the pH between 6-9, and have the irrigation part of the system designed so water doesn't pool or run off. This is all easily doable with our setup.

Cheers,
      --
      Don

Comment

Working...
      X