Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of concrete for brewery floor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of concrete for brewery floor?

We are in the early stages of setting up our 20bbl brewery and have to pour some concrete. Not knowing a lot about concrete, I was unaware of the many different varieties. Any recommendations on what kind? Any suggestions on the best seal?

Waterproof Concrete

Originally posted by OTS View Post
    We are in the early stages of setting up our 20bbl brewery and have to pour some concrete. Not knowing a lot about concrete, I was unaware of the many different varieties. Any recommendations on what kind? Any suggestions on the best seal?
    Heres an interesting couple products added to the concrete at the concrete plant, relatively inexpensive, that render the concrete waterproof. The concrete could still be finished with industry standard coatings, mainly epoxies and polyurethanes, as well as a clear top coat, but the concrete beneath would itself be a waterproof membrane.

Chemically advanced, molecularly waterproof concrete that allows you to design easier, build faster, capitalize sooner, with less risk.

Xypex Additive products, added to the concrete at time of batching, are part of the Xypex concrete waterproofing and protection system. Learn more.

Polyurethane topcoats are expensive but tough and durable.

Epoxy cannot handle thermal shock well, causes adhesion loss, and does worse with heavy vehicle traffic. Usually cheaper.

Some of the concrete admixtures do not require any additional coating to qualify for NSF 61 standards and remain completely waterproof.

Good Luck

SD

Comment

Xypex concrete additive for brewery floor

Pouring a new floor for the brewery, considering using xypex as an admix. http://www.xypex.com/

Also considering burnishing the floor, evidently burnished concrete floors aren't very slippery when wet (contrary to what I would guess).

Anyone with experience using xypex or burnished floors, I'd love to hear your experiences.

fwiw - xypex will cost under 1k for a 1650 sqft area. Much less than epoxy, and I won't ever have to worry about epoxy delaminating from the floor.

Thanks for any feedback!

Comment

Don't forget to have an engineer look at it for thickness and concrete strength. Plan forward a bit, unless you want to cut out your floor and put footings in later.

Comment

We decided on http://www.stonhard.ca/

Floor coating folks are working directly with the concrete supplier and installers to get us a complete solution.

Comment

just had a urethane coating put on our floor best thing we ever did. It is the only coating that put up with the abuse of a brewery cleans great and better grip
            Mike Eme
            Brewmaster

Comment

Floor Coating

Originally posted by beerguy1 View Post
              just had a urethane coating put on our floor best thing we ever did. It is the only coating that put up with the abuse of a brewery cleans great and better grip
              Hi Mike,
              iWas just reading your comment was wandering which coating you decided to go with?
              Did you coat an existing floor or a new one?

Comment

Well both actually it was existing in the idea that we had been in the building for 4 years prior but the company that came in actually ground 1/4 off the entire floor except around the tank pads then poured the urethane on top great adhesion and when we move a pallet jack around no bumps or ridges going up to the new floor. As far as the brand I dont know since it was a professional job. Personally, I would never attempt coating floor thats a job best left to professionals. Almost 99% of the floors I have seen fail have been done by non professionals attempting to save money IMHO not worth it
                Mike Eme
                Brewmaster

Comment

Originally posted by Flowcrete
                  You may wish to consider installing a protective cementitious urethane system.

All brewing and kegging rooms require a floor that can provide substantial protection against the challenging on-site conditions faced on a daily basis - hot temperatures chemical spillage, damp conditions - and that also comply with the sanitation mandates and surface characteristics of the FDA and USDA.

Flowcrete Americas has a range of cementitious urethane systems that have been successfully installed in breweries.

Below are some case studies that you may find useful.

Pale Fire Brewing Co.

Alamo Beer Company

Brassneck Brewery

Florida Beer Company

Best of luck with your project,

Rebekah
                  Rebekah Could you quote our project? like the florida beer company look. we have about 2000 sq ft to coat
                  Dan Lynch, Co-Founder
                  Little Miami Brewing Company
                  Old Milford, Ohio

Comment

Working...
                  X