Question about wastewater.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about wastewater.

We are currently in the process of opening our brewpub and currently need information on wastewater. I plan on using Birko products for cleaning and sanitizing but need some information as soon as possible.

The engineer of the county needs to know the pH of all materials being deposited into the sewer. We are opening a 7 bbl brewpub with the hopes of brewing 3-4 times a week. Amount of water is needed and I went with the average of 5 bbls of wastewater per bbl of beer as I went a bit lower as we are not canning or bottling. Would anyone know how much to add in the restaurant side for a 110 seat restaurant as well. Does anyone here have experience with pre treating the water and what system to use. I know the local brewery around me deposits their waste water in a holding pool and has it trucked out so they're no help. Also, cooling the water before it enters the sewer is also a concern and what are some steps to minimize this impact? Any and all information would be helpful.

Sincerely,
    Under the gun

The simplest solution is to have a holding tank where you can deposit all your chemicals with the idea that caustics (high ph) and acids (low ph) will neutralize each other, and then you can dump it into the sewer at a safe ph and temperature.

We have a 1000 liter palletized plastic tank that our chemical supplier gave us, so we can move it out of the way, or move it near the floor drain when we want to dump it.

Comment

Don't Mix chemicals!

Mixing chemicals is just a bad idea. Yes they will eliminate each other but the products you will produce could be very harmful. For instance if you are using a chlorinated caustic and mix it with some acid you will get mustard gas.

Comment

That's a good point. Talk to your chemical supplier about the safety of mixing particular chemicals. In our case it was our chemical supplier who advised this solution so we wouldn't be subject to the high fines we can receive from dumping high or low ph or high temperature liquids down the drain. We don't put arbitrary waste products in there though, only the ones we purchased from him.

Comment

Working...
        X