Melinodian malt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melinodian malt

I was talking with a German brewer and I mentioned I'm not a big weisse fan, but the ones I like are usually darker but not a dunkle, like Aventinus or any more flavorful. He suggested Melinodian malt,
    I usually have used a dark munich, Can anyone tell me more about Melinodian malts and how I should use it?
    www.Lervig.no

Melanoidins are produced during the production of coloured malts. My guess is that the Germans call coloured malts "Melanoidin" malts If I am wrong, someone please ensure they put me right.

Try using something from the range of coloured malts, starting at the lighter end with caramalt, through crystal, amber, brown and black malt to get the flavours. Sounds like you are best approaching one of the German malsters, or alternatively try Crisps or Fawcetts in the UK.

If these are OK to use, then just mill and mash with normal malt. You can calculate the amount required in each brew to produce the desired colour easily. Flavours you will have to experiment with.

Cheers

Dick
    dick

Comment

Great. Thanks for the specifics.
      dick

Comment

Thanks, That does help. I had experimented with a batch and used it alot like you discribed. The color is deep orange. I have yet to taste it.
        www.Lervig.no

Comment

Melinodian Malt

We are brewing 30BBL batches of Marxen. In the past we were using 55LB DWC Aromatic, now we have switched over to 55LB (25kg) to Wyer. Melinodian Malt and our beer has never tasted better. We are using about 4% and loving it.
          We have also used it in other beers and found it really improved the malt tones.

Comment

Working...
          X