Best Business Structure for a Micro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Business Structure for a Micro?

Is there a best business structure for a microbrewery? I realize laws vary state to state. I have read over the differences of the business strucues (LLC, Corporation, Sole Proprietor, etc...) but generally speaking is there one that works best (single owner)????
    COAST Brewing Company

Just based on my experiences with opening 2 facilities, I would recommend either the LLC or teh Subchapter 'S" Corporation. S Corps are great for getting money out of the comany and into your hands without being taxed twice, like "C" Corps are.
    If you are a single owner, you can still benefit greatly from the S Corp structure and it will come in handy when you bring on partners, etc. Avoid Sole Proprietorships and C Corps. That was the adviced of our CPA.

Just my $.02.

Comment

We chose an S-corp for the liability protection and for the tax benefits. With an S-designation from the IRS, all of the income passes through to the shareholders without being taxed at the corporate level, meaning you claim your portion of the corporation's income as your personal income and pay taxes on it then. You can have up to 25 shareholders in an S-corp before you have to become a C-corp.

By all means do not do a sole proprietorship. You will have no legal protections from someone going after your house and assets if something happens to the business.
      Linus Hall
      Yazoo Brewing
      Nashville, TN
      www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

s-corp limitations

legeese,
        Keep in mind that a sub-chapter S corp is limited to 35 investors so make sure that your units are large enough to raise your capital, and everyone investing has to be a [nearly] natural-born us citizen to partivcipate.
        Luck,
        -firey
        Chris Firey
        crfirey@geemaildotcom
        610-threeonezero-1574

Comment

An LLC offers the same tax benefits (you can elect pass-through taxation, like an S-corp, in any state) and has fewer formalities associated with it. It's very easy to get yourself in trouble with an S-corp, because there are a million little rules that, if ignored, can blow your tax or liability insulation benefits.

Comment

Working...
          X