Mixed Beer Drinks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed Beer Drinks

Recently I was on www.thebar.com and I saw that they have some recipes for mixed drinks that use beer. I tried the Black Velvet (Guinness and Champagne) and loved it. I've always been a beer drinker, but feel left out when people are making mixed drinks. Anyone know some good mixed drinks that use beer?

Originally posted by pissant
    Recently I was on www.thebar.com and I saw that they have some recipes for mixed drinks that use beer. I tried the Black Velvet (Guinness and Champagne) and loved it. I've always been a beer drinker, but feel left out when people are making mixed drinks. Anyone know some good mixed drinks that use beer?
    My theory on beer cocktails is they are a waste of two good product. I'd rather have a pint of Guinness followed by a Champagne chaser
    Cheers & I'm out!
    David R. Pierce
    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
    POB 343
    New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

I've seen a lot of bars offer beetails, I think it's an interesting concept.

As a brewer the thought of adding additional products to my hard work is a bit annoying and degrading.

As a business person the opportunity to charge a premium or increase profit margins with a filler is enticing.

As a paying consumer of beer it is my right to consume any product as I see fit.

I'm sure a chef doesn't like to hear that his dish was covered in ketchup but that dish has still been paid in full. Afterall it's a business, some people would never eat their steak without their A1, some people wouldn't drink their beer without a lime.

As far as interesting concotions, I actually enjoy Belgian-style Wit with orange juice ( like an alcoholic Orangina) and IPA and Ice tea, a great summer cooler.
      Cheers,
      Mike Roy
      Brewmaster
      Franklins Restaurant, Brewery & General Store
      5123 Baltimore Ave
      Hyattsville,MD 20781
      301-927-2740

Franklinsbrewery.com
      @franklinsbrwry
      facebook.com/franklinsbrewery

Comment

Originally posted by IncrediBREWmike
        I've seen a lot of bars offer beetails, I think it's an interesting concept.

As a brewer the thought of adding additional products to my hard work is a bit annoying and degrading.

As a business person the opportunity to charge a premium or increase profit margins with a filler is enticing.

As a paying consumer of beer it is my right to consume any product as I see fit.

I'm sure a chef doesn't like to hear that his dish was covered in ketchup but that dish has still been paid in full. Afterall it's a business, some people would never eat their steak without their A1, some people wouldn't drink their beer without a lime.

As far as interesting concotions, I actually enjoy Belgian-style Wit with orange juice ( like an alcoholic Orangina) and IPA and Ice tea, a great summer cooler.
        Damn, I keep forgetting we are supposed to make money on this thing:
        Step 1: Brew beer
        Step 2:
        Step 3: Profit
        (My apologies to the South Park underpants Gnomes)

Alright, I'll give in to the Wit/OJ thing on a hot summer day, but IPA & Iced tea? What kind of twisted pervert brewer are you? Next thing we know you'll want Coke & APA...
        Last edited by beertje46; 01-04-2006, 07:18 PM. Reason: update
        Cheers & I'm out!
        David R. Pierce
        NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
        POB 343
        New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

David,
          My being a twisted pervert brewer should have no bearing on this discussion. What I choose to blend my beer with at the tap is my business, just like that thing I heard that brewer out in the mid-west used to do with that high powered spray washer when know one was around.

That said I would never mix Coke & APA, for that matter Coke with anything ,afterall we've all learned a lesson from John Belushi.

IPA and iced Tea however is an interesting concoction. The idea stemmed from tasting a special release from an East Coast brewpub that made a beer with tea leaves, little to no hops,served it flat in a cooler glass that was already packed with ice. Talk about a profit margin, those bastards. My take on it, was it was one of the worst beers ever concieved, BUT the best iced tea I've ever had. So I simply said to myself if only this beer had no ice, was carbonated and had some hop character (specifically citrus like a lemon) so it was a perfect match for a good west coast style IPA. The combination of the sweet malty tea and the bitter and citrus cascade hops is magficient.
          Cheers,
          Mike Roy
          Brewmaster
          Franklins Restaurant, Brewery & General Store
          5123 Baltimore Ave
          Hyattsville,MD 20781
          301-927-2740

Franklinsbrewery.com
          @franklinsbrwry
          facebook.com/franklinsbrewery

Comment

I am of a mixed mind about this as well, as a connoiseur I don't want to mix good products because I'll lose the nuances. However, I understand that being a connoiseur has at times interfered with my social life - no one wants to drink with a snob. So, I'm balancing "fitting in" with taste.

The last time I was in Ireland I noticed that the kids were drinking shandies, beer (usually Guinness) mixed with lemonade. I was horrified on a few different levels (underage drinking isn't something I support), but after tasting one found that it was a refreshing way to enjoy it. The bar site I use, www.thebar.com suggests making them with lemon-lime soda. I made my own lemon-lime soda and used that, and it was tasty, and my girlfriend loves them.

That said, it looks like it's time for me to try IPA and iced tea, despite the flack I'll get from my purist inner voice.

Comment

We sell tons of redbull energy drink / beer pints (full can of red bull in pint glass, top with beer, gently srir)
              Sounds terible, but try it
              Most poular are domestic light beers such as coors or miller lite / redbull

Problem is you don't know if you want to pass out or run around the block

Comment

Get the bling on, baby

Heffe and OJ for a nice mimosa
                Stout float, anyone?
                Shandy
                Radler
                Berliner Weiss with syrup

lots of great traditional beertails exist. What's wrong with a few new ones?

I may be a snob, but my customers are not...and they pay my check. Also, some of these beer cocktails are mighty tasty....try the Heffe mimosa and see for yourself.

Don't take yourself too seriously...........we do this 'cause it's fun. Right?

Also, on the kids and shandys thing. It is not underage drinking in Ireland. Its legal. and it should be here too. See Lew Brysons web sight if you need some convincing. 18 year olds are dying for our country and they can't have a shandy in my bar. Not cool.

Not so many facist crazies in europe.
                Last edited by Larry Horwitz; 01-07-2006, 08:09 AM.
                Larry Horwitz

Comment

The Mother-in-Law

There's always the "Mother-in-Law", equal parts Old and Bitter Ale...gotta have that one in the line up, if only for the principle.

Jim P

Comment

Working...
                  X