how to remove seal on keg spear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to remove seal on keg spear

So I was able to get the spear apart so I basically just have the spear with the rubber seal on the top. How to I remove this seal, seems glued on? Is it going to be hard to reinstall the seal since the ball has a spring behind it?

The main seal on the spear fits down inside the spear for about 1/2", and is glued in place by beer residue. Soak it in hot water for a minute or two, then carefully pry it lose with a small screwdriver. Clean everything.

Re-assembling the valve is a PITA. Yep, that spring--and the big one on the outside of the valve--is going to make it difficult. I made a tool from 1 1/4" copper pipe that greatly simplifies this. Look at the bottom of the valve retaining ring and you'll see that it has three slots. With a hacksaw, make some cuts on the top edge of the pipe to leave three tabs to engage those slots. Chuck the pipe in a vise, put the valve parts on the spear in the correct order (might want to have another spear for reference), push down to compress the springs, and give the valve 1/4 turn to engage the retainer.

Lather, rinse, repeat.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Keg Spear

As indicated above and follow the link:

Comment

Thanks--I was planning on making a post on this, and you've saved me the time!
        Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
        Terminal Gravity Brewing,
        Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Awesome! Thanks guys. I did however find out that Sabco will refurbish your spear for $13 bucks a piece. Well worth it in my mind. So I have them in the mail to them! Thanks for the tips, I'm sure I will need to do it at some point in the future!!!

Comment

Working...
          X