Squeaaaaaaal like a pumpy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeaaaaaaal like a pumpy!

Our wort pump has taken to Singing Us The Song Of Its People every time we whirlpool or transfer at high speed. It will form the chorus line for VPRV, our in-house brewery-themed industrial band's next hit single Squealy Pump, but on the whole I'd prefer our hearing and sanity intact.

It's ye standard 1.5 horse Ampco AC+ run on a VFD. Pump seal kit's been replaced on it a couple times already. So, anybody got any sweet tips and tricks out there to make this thing STFU?

Promise we'll give you Executive Producer credit on the next album.
    Russell Everett
    Co-Founder / Head Brewer
    Bainbridge Island Brewing
    Bainbridge Island, WA

Is it cavatating? You can close down the valve on the outlet side. Or try cooling the seal with a bit of water. It makes mine nice and quiet
    Mike Eme
    Brewmaster

Comment

it is most likely the the wort temp. try cooling down the seal.

Comment

We have noticed spraying it with the hose seems to help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Russell Everett
        Co-Founder / Head Brewer
        Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Cavitating is a whole nother interesting sound. No, this is SQUEEEEEEEEEEEE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Russell Everett
          Co-Founder / Head Brewer
          Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

If you're lucky, it's the seal. Wort will destroy an un-washed seal incredibly fast--our C114 vorlauff pump seal lasted less than a month, I put a water line on the external seal, and the nes seal is five years old without a problem.

If you're not lucky, it's the bearings. The only cure is generally a new motor. May as well replace the seal while you're at it.

A simple stethoscope will help to determine which it is. Use a piece of pipe, tubing, or even a screwdriver. Put the improvised 'scope to one ear, with an earplug in the other. Try putting the other end on various parts of the pump 'til you find where it's the loudest.
            Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
            Terminal Gravity Brewing,
            Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

I have never replaced an electric motor just because the bearings went out. Pressing in new bearings is cheap and easy or you can have an Electric Motor Repair company do it for you for a fraction of the cost of a new motor. The only time you replace the motor is if the bearing seats have been ruined by using the bad bearings too long. If the armature and bearing seats are good it is a cheap fix.
              Joel Halbleib
              Partner / Zymurgist
              Hive and Barrel Meadery
              6302 Old La Grange Rd
              Crestwood, KY
              www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Working...
              X