Glycol Inlet Size vs. Pump Pressure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glycol Inlet Size vs. Pump Pressure?

I have a 10bbl system. On all the FVs and SVs the glycol inlet and outlet are 3/4". Is there an advantage/disadvantage to increasing the main trunk glycol line to all the tanks to 1 1/4", reducing to 3/4" before each inlet?
    "Always seeking the best outlaw glycol system design"

Thanks a hop!
    Dave
    Glacier Brewing Company
    406-883-2595
    info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

it should be fine as long as you dont exceed the pressure max on the jackets.

I have a open system were the glycol circulates continuously and once a valve opens it will cool, if alot of tanks are open the pressure will drop alot, but if Im concentrating it to one tank it will cool real fast, without to much pressure.
    www.Lervig.no

Comment

Most definitely, guys. Your Supply Main should always be larger than the inlet by at least 1.5" or 2" DIA, depending on the number of tanks and the volume you're driving.

There's a big reason for having the Supply Main bigger. Since Q=VA (Flow rate = Fluid Velocity x Pipe Area), area can becoem a limiting factor when you look at friction losses at specific velocities. Smaller pipes have higher friction losses as do faster moving liquids. These losses manifest themselves as dynamic head losses.

Not to mix apples and oranges, but static and dynamic line pressures are different than flow rates, but one can affect the other. Every glycol circuit must have a pressure relief valve is the line as well as pressure gages (so you can see the pressures) to prevent jacket rupturing. 15 psi is a good static pressure with no demand on the circuit but you must have enough flow to maintain at least 10 psi or so when under full load (all jackets open). Cooling jackets can take a snick more pressure than the tank itself, and we run our B2 site at 17 psi static.

Comment

Usually tanks are built with a smaller glycol inlet than outlet to help prevent inflating the jacket. Unrelated to your good idea of oversizing the piping, but maybe useful someday.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight
          Usually tanks are built with a smaller glycol inlet than outlet to help prevent inflating the jacket. Unrelated to your good idea of oversizing the piping, but maybe useful someday.
          Moon,

Must be a manufacturer thang. All the one's I've seen up to 20 Bbl are 3/4" male NPT on both ends. I can't recall the 40's I've seen, but I think Strombergs are the same size as well.

Just my humble observations.......

Comment

Working...
          X