Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OPINION - What is the best electric turnkey 3bbl and 5bbl system out there - and why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I brewed on Brewmation 7BBL for 18 months. Engineering was great and their support is superb, HLT and Kettle could heat at an astounding rate as long as they werent blowing the giant 300 amp fuses at our meter (software update fixed). Overall Id say the system is 8 out of 10. Downsides.... PRICEY, and the Stout tanks radiate heat like a members only jacket. Ive used cheap chinese 2-3bbl mash tanks that hold temp much better. Electric will always be 20-40% more then direct fire to install.

Originally posted by mmmatt View Post
    The mash doesn't hold temps that great. I use a 5500w element in a rimms tube and I can hold with that but without it will drop down pretty quick. your mash will still be 120 the next day, but it would be tough to hold mash temp too long without a rimms. It is my understanding that the enzymes do their thing in about 20 minutes and after that holding temp isnt that big of a deal, but I don't know that for fact.

One of my first 4 beers that I opened with was my chocolate stout. I usually mash that one around 157 and hit it at that but without the rimms (the rimms arived after my first few batches) I ended up with a much lighter body than what I was aiming for. I also sparged a little too much and dropped the gravity a bit. So as things go, and especially with craft beer, people loved drinking a chocolate beer that was light bodied and drinkable so I billed it as a dark chocolate ale/light bodied stout and still make it that way to this day as one of the few recipes that I repeat! So yeah... get the insulation if you can afford it, but it probably wouldn't be any big trick to sell a 3bbl stout mash ton in a few months or a year for a small loss to replace it with the insulated one.

Matt

Comment

How would anybody rate the Brewha BIAC as an option?

Im considering to start a brewery with one 5BBL BIAC for brewing and fermenting plus a homebrewing 10 gallon setup, then add some 5 BBL conicals (not necessarily Brewha) when things pick up.. Any thoughts?

Last edited by 438; 10-20-2016, 03:06 PM.

Comment

5 BBL Electric

Checkout Colorado Brewing Systems...they might be an option for you?
        I am looking at their Nano Brewer Dual 4 BBL, but they just launched this new 5 BBL System...and its American made.
        http://www.cobrewingsystems.com/coll...-brewer-single
        Good luck cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by WAORGANY View Post
          Checkout Colorado Brewing Systems...they might be an option for you?
          I am looking at their Nano Brewer Dual 4 BBL, but they just launched this new 5 BBL System...and its American made.
          http://www.cobrewingsystems.com/coll...-brewer-single
          Good luck cheers.
          Thanks, thats an interesting option too. Pricewise quite similar, with the BIAC though there would be the advantage of having a jacketed conical built in especially for the beginning. Later would probably end up using it just as a kettle though I guess..
          Last edited by 438; 10-22-2016, 02:51 AM.

Comment

Did you buy a BIAC?

Originally posted by 438 View Post
            Thanks, thats an interesting option too. Pricewise quite similar, with the BIAC though there would be the advantage of having a jacketed conical built in especially for the beginning. Later would probably end up using it just as a kettle though I guess..
            Did you purchase a Brewha system? If so,
            what would you say about it?

Comment

We just took delivery on our new electric 3bbl system a few weeks ago ( I believe ours was the last 3bbl, he now only offers a 3.5 ) built by Quiet Giant Brewing. The build quality is second to none and his pricing is very competitive . I would encourage to to swing by their website and contact the owner/builder Russ. He is extremely easy to work with.

Comment

Working...
              X