Dark Grain and Mash pH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Grain and Mash pH

Does anyone have a good source of info for how much and at what addition rate Dark grains affect mash pH? I read something about this a while back but can't seem to remember where...

Web site? Book? Post a formula here?

....just let me know...

"Dark grains" are a pretty broad category. And sauermalz (acidulated malt) can also be used to acidify your mash. The mash pH will be influenced by water chemistry, exact makeup of malt bill, and length of mash, among other issues. I'm afraid the only way to know for sure is to try it in your system. Good luck!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

John Palmers Book on homebrewing

It has the best graf to manipulate the pH by wort color from dark malts.
      Internet page
      Doug A Moller
      Brewmaster
      The Moller Brew House
      (405)226-3111

Comment

I probably should have mentioned in the first place...I'm taking into account my water already, using this formula in Daniels "DGB":

predicted mash pH =

5.8 + (0.028 * [(Total Alk_CaCO3 * 0.056) - (Ca_ppm * 0.04) - (Mg_ppm * 0.033)]

However, I was trying to come up with a correction calculation for dark grains. (realizing "dark grains" is a fairly vague category") .

Of course, just getting a pH meter out would be the smart thing to do...but...I'm just trying to find quick and easy way to at least calculate some ballpark figures...

Comment

.....which looks like the same calc in Palmer.... hmm...the formulas behind that nomograph,.....???

Comment

Working...
          X