DE the culprit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DE the culprit?

I percieve a faint iron/blood taste after DE filtration with Celite 577. Anybody else have flavor issues with DE? Any other filter problems that could lead to this taste? Thanks for your help!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Oxygen from the DE affecting flavor? DOes it go away in hours or days?

Comment

It could possibly be oxygen, but I've never percieved oxygen as iron/blood. Only the (familiar) wet cardboard. The taste is permanent. Never goes away. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Perhaps oxygen and high iron liquor? I've got the latter, and I've seen DE give nasty oxygen.

Comment

Most (all ?) DE suppliers only send out low iron DE, as they know it is not good for beer, or I guess anything else for that matter that the DE is used for. Is this a problem that has only arisen since you started using this supplier / batch / grade, or have you only just started filtering at all ? With reference to the comments about O2 pickup, make sure you sparge the slurry with pure CO2 or nitrogen for a while before and during dosing throughout the filter run. Sounds like you could also do with an iron analysis on your water as well as that is the most likely source of iron.

Cheers
          dick

Comment

This brewery is a new assignment for me. All four of the beers have a hint of metal taste. Will investigate the water, but the taste seems to change at the filter. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Check also for mild steel parts, or areas of epoxy coated mild steel / cast where the epoxy has lifted. Ancient plate & frame filters used to have epoxy coated plates and bronze frames quite often. Perhaps they have simply welded in some mild steel, or have some VERY poor stainless, perhaps resulting from not using argon when welding
              dick

Comment

DE the culprit? One easy way to check!

The ASBC mentions a simple test method for filter aid effect on odor and taste:

Take two bottles of beer filled at the same time under the same conditions, open one, add 2.5 g filter aid, recrown and mix into suspension. Open other bottle and recrown and mix for control. Chill 'em down for a day, decant, and submit to your taste panel.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Great suggestions! Thanks.

Comment

Bad internal welding

I bought a new Velo 2 filter and for some reason I took the pipe work apart. I guess this company has not invented root gas (argon or naton) yet. At least not root gas enough. I did what I could and passivated the filter with a nitric acid solution. I donĀ“t know if bad weldings can be a source of metalic taste but I know that bad weldings exist on new equipment. I have read about an american brewery which cut all weldings and rewelded it.

Cheers
                    Bjorn F.

Comment

Working...
                    X