Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filter preferences

Just curious

which type of filtering do you prefer. taking into account, Quality, loss, ease, time, cost.

DE filtering vrs sheet filter.

Im considering giving up on my sheet filter and making the switch. Im conserned with oxygen pick up in a DE filter. But my Sheet filter is SLOW....
    www.Lervig.no

For anyone other than home brewers and mega breweries, DE filters have got to be the way to go - no contest. If I were setting up a micro, I would go for a horizontal leaf filter. Deoxgenate flush water by bubbling nitrogen or CO2 through it before carrying out the final pre beer flush, and bubble CO2 through the filter aid slurry, and you will be OK if both these process are carried out carefully

Cheers
    dick

Comment

Dick is 100% on the money...literally. sheets are +$1.00 per (and usually like $1.50 if you don't buy them in bulk) so filter runs are almost always $30 and up....you can buy a lot of dirt for $30. Also, DE is better for your beer (operated correctly).
      Larry Horwitz

Comment

yeah We have a 90 plate with diverter sheet filter, I use the first part to get the gross filtering and the second actually has about 30% DE inpregnated in the membrane to filter very complete, its just very slow and it takes alot out of me to tighten up. Im filtering about 4-5 times per week. sometimes it goes real fast but sometimes it can take me 8 hrs to filter 50hl of beer.

So a DE set up would help my case?
        www.Lervig.no

Comment

Yes it would. Please be aware that there is a steep learning curve to successful DE filtration, even if you have an experienced filterman show you how it's done.

But once you're operating smoothly and you understand and can control the variables, DE is absolutely the best.

Comment

Working...
          X