Ventilation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ventilation

I need to figure out a way to vent my steam out. Should I use an in-line fan to suck it outside? Is there any common knowledge about brewery ventilation?
    Last edited by LoveCraft; 03-13-2015, 02:55 PM.

Can you describe your situation more?

Comment

You really only have two good choices. 1) You kettle should have been built to accommodate a flue vented through the roof or side wall. 2) Install a condenser which gives you the option to reclaim the water.

Comment

clarification

To clarify: I have a stout 3bbl, which will be able to direct the steam up and away from the kettle, but I need to get it out of the room. The ceiling is about 10 feet above the top of the kettle, and the external wall is maybe 15 feet away. Moving the kettle is not an option. I am worried that the distance I need to cover will be too much for the steam to travel without some sort of in-line fan to pump it out. I have a condensate stack for the kettle so I am not worried about condensation getting back into the wort.

Comment

I have the same exact setup but with only 8' ceilings, but there is a second story. I ran 6" SS pipe up to the ceiling and then along the ceiling and out the side wall. I could not find an inline fan than could handle the heat AND the moisture. I installed an exterior fan than goes through the wall that connects to the pipe. I installed a speed controller to monitor the fan suction. I will snap a pic today.

Comment

Thanks, a picture would be awesome!

Comment

Here's a pic of the pipe and a condensate trap. Fan in just amazon wall fan.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1426359042429.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	190681Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1426359079693.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	190682

Comment

• spiral
                spiral commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi, is this system still working? Do you have a condensate ring on top of the kettle?
                Do you have any links to the condensate trap before it goes out the wall?

I have to go about 1.3m (4 feet) to an outside wall.
                The wall opening is about the same height as the top of the kettle. I have seem some steam vents where they go up and then they go down to the outside. I do not know how they did this though.
                Thanks for your post.

Thanks for uploading the pictures. Would you be able to link me to the amazon wall fan?

Cheers,
              Jesse

Comment

Here's the link.

The fan is great. I have another one of these in the brewery just for ambient smell and they provide plenty of suction.

Comment

If you can make a roof penetration, all you need is 3' or so above the roof to get a natural draft, works great for us. I used 8" stainless chimney liner, sealed the seams with silicone when I put it together. Total was about $300 with everything to seal it to the roof.

Comment

Unfortunately I cannot go through the roof, But I am thinking maybe out the wall. It will have to travel a distance though...

Comment

Could you try the link again? That was a link to glycol chillers.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by jebzter View Post
                          If you can make a roof penetration, all you need is 3' or so above the roof to get a natural draft, works great for us. I used 8" stainless chimney liner, sealed the seams with silicone when I put it together. Total was about $300 with everything to seal it to the roof.
                          Hey Jebzter. I was wondering if you used single wall stainless or double wall. Ive seen both recommended and my Mechanical guy has no idea what the requirements are. Oh and the city has no opinion, pretty laxed in our area. we have a 7bbl Direct fire midco 300k BTU. we have been using b vent but the CIP chems are taking there toll on the aluminum. I did find Premier( not my manufacture) requires double wall capable of 1000F. Oh and its 20 ft straight up with roof penetration.
                          Cheers

Comment

Working...
                          X