crash with venting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crash with venting?

i was reading a couple other threads and never really thought about this before, but just out of habit i don't typically close the blowoff vent when is start to crash beers in the FV.. it seems that some people do and some people don't from the way they were talking about it.. the drop in temperature doesn't seem to be drastic enough to suck much of the sanitizer in, though even if it did it wouldn't make much of a difference.. we don't spund for carbing at all, which is the only way i can tell would be practical to close the vent in the FV.. what all do you do? just curious if i am doing something completely wrong..

Kevin
    Last edited by krenshaw; 03-20-2015, 08:48 AM.
    Kevin
    JoBoy's Brewpub

Just push some co2 in through the blow-off arm and then close the valve. If you don't you will suck in ambient air when it cools.
    Troy Robinson
    Quirk Brewing
    Walla Walla

Comment

we cap the blowoff arm and then take the tank to ~5psi head pressure with co2 prior to crashing. Otherwise you will pull vacuum in the tank which could suck in sanitizer or whatevers in your bucket, outside air, or damage the tank (they're typically built to hold pressure, not vacuum).

Comment

I cap just prior to terminal to eliminate pulling a vacuum on crash. This also builds a small amount of pressure that I can use to harvest or dump trub before crashing or dry hopping. Why use purchased co2 when your yeast makes it for you.

Comment

Yep. Easy. Cap, get a couple psi on it either from spunding the end of the fermentation or hooking a co2 hose up to the spray arm, crash under pressure so the tank doesn't crunch under the vacuum.
          Russell Everett
          Co-Founder / Head Brewer
          Bainbridge Island Brewing
          Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Working...
          X