Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Separate carbonation level for kegs vs cans

Hello fellow pro brewers,

I wanted to see if any other breweries were using a separate carbonation level for their draft beer vs. packaged beer? We have been carbonating beer for our draft accounts to about 2.25 volumes and our cans up to 2.4-2.55 volumes depending on style. We're running into brite tank conflicts when trying to do this strategy.

Does your brewery employ a similar approach? Do you have a maximum keg carbonation that you would feel confident sending out of your brewery?

2.25 is fairly low for draft; they could easily handle the same carbonation as your can spec. I guess it depends if you like the levels in both cases.

Comment

All our draft goes out between 2.5 - 2.8 depending on style. Going lower than 2.5 from our experience is when we start to get complaints about the beer being "flat" because it pours with very little head. Ultimately it's an education thing but it's a thing none the less. I wish I could go lower. That being said we've never had a draft account have trouble with anything unless it creeps above that 2.8 mark.

Comment

The canning and bottling companies I've done business with say that you lose about 0.1 volumes when the beer goes into package. So ideally your draft and package will taste the same and present the same. So we always carbed the bottling bright about 0.15-0.2 volumes above draft target. Another note is I used to carb most of my maltier beers to about 2.4 volumes then I had a few times where I ordered my own beer at a few local beer bars and they had NO foam formation. Most accounts are serving your draft beer closer to 35-40 degrees and at that temp you need at least 2.5 volumes to get any legitimate foam formation, unless you've got a bar that really knows how to serve and pour beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
        X