fermentis dry yeast pitching rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fermentis dry yeast pitching rates

what pitching rate are commercial brewers using for the fermentis dry yeasts like S-04. fermentis recommends 50-80 grams per hl. at 6E9 viable cells per gram, 80 g /hl equates to a pitching rate of about 5 million cells per ml by my calcs.

is this a good pitching rate? seems like its about half to a third of the 12-15 million cells per ml usually recommended for a 12-15P wort. or is this adequate due to the viability of the professionally packaged dry yeast versus harvesting of less viable yeast cells from previous fermentations?

thanks,
    matt

I did some calculations before I began using SO4, but found that using 500 grams for 10 bbl of 13P wort worked just dandy. Fast fermentation, low diacetyl, great attenuation, fine flavor. Good luck!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Fermentis dry yeast

Just out of interest, what does 500g Fermentis dry yeast - eg S04 - cost?

Comment

I usually just go with the 500g also, although i use it in aboundence for my lagers as I am fermenting only 7-8bbl batch. Conversly, i sometimes use half a brick for ales..

Comment

cost and rate

s-05 or 56 run between 27 and 33 dollars for 500g. bulk rate is available, too. we pitch 500g into just shy of a 7bbl batch of 14 plato wort. definitely a bit of lag time coming into growth - it adds a full day or more to fermentation time, but we repitch for six to eight generations. great value for the price. less options than liquid alternatives but 30$ vs. 180$.

Comment

We're currently paying 22.37 euros for 500g SO4, looks like everythings cheaper in the US!

Comment

I've been using the S04 with very nice results (detail below), 500g to a 7.5bbl batch of ~11 plato wort. I do NOT hydrate it in any way, and just sprinkly the contents over the surface of the oxygenated wort as it's about 1/3 of the way into filling the fermenter. Also contrary to what the manufacturer says, I can re-pitch with great results for multiple generations.

Lag time is usually not a big issue - I can't give you a number, but the next morning, I've got a VERY vigorous fermentation going, and the last batch hit it's final gravity in two days... makes me think I'm over pitching. Flocculation on S04 is very nice, and I've had people ask me if I've started filtering my beer as a result of the clarity.

Downside as previously mentioned is the lack of strains offered.

Cheers,
              Scott

Comment

I have been using some of this yeast and haven't liked the beers as much as a US-56 batch. I do like English ales.. maybe it's my ferment temps..

Comment

fermentis w-34/70

We've used this with great results but I am wondering has anyone repitched this lager yeast? If so how many times> Thanks Adrian

Comment

Working...
                  X