Starting a private label

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dave,

A good place to start is look at what kind of volume you would like to achieve in your first year. How many brands you want to start with and then work backwards. You need to have a real grasp of what kind of sales you will need to be able to pay the bills and most contract brewers will want to know what kind of volume you will require. Brewers need to make certain that the contracts they pick up will not just be a one off, but a viable new brand.

I know from a few contractees that their beer requires enormous amounts of marketing dollars to get the brands recognized. Make sure you build in a lot of incentive dollars and advertising.

I think you mentioned that you have a few friends with bars/ restaurants that say they will pick up your products. I have friends who have restaurants that took 6 years for us to get a draft line. There needs to be push/pull of your beer and it takes time to develope. You will need to be out selling and tasting your beers with people 7 days a week and nuturing the relationships it takes to sell beer.

Packaging can usuallly be built into the cost of the case but you will have art and plate charges that eat up a lot of cash.

Then there is the sets at liquor stores. There is a long list of things. But understanding the costs of things and the distribution side of beer is absolutely imperative to understand. For those of us who are brewers, making and packaging the beer is easy, getting placements and developing the strong relationships with our customers is hard work and can be very disappointing.

I'd be happy to chat or email and let you know how it works in Maine. We started shipping beer into MA in February and we have a long way to go. Competing with all the great beers available in MA is tough. We typically rely on our great service and persistence. Good luck
    Kai Adams
    Sebago Brewing Company
    www.sebagobrewing.com

Comment

Originally posted by tarmadilo
      Your brewery will have to pass zoning codes, fire and health inspections, and BATF approval. It HAS been done, in fact New Belgium (makers of Fat Tire) started in Jeff and Kim's basement.

But getting zoning permission can be tricky...

Cheers, Tim
      Great thanks Tim.

Comment

Working...
      X