Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good/Cheap source for kettle stack and burner flue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good/Cheap source for kettle stack and burner flue?

After my first sticker shock on a quote for our kettle vapor stack and the burner exhaust flue on our new 10 barrel system ($8500), I am wondering if anyone has any good, economical sources for this equipment? I think the quote we got was pretty reasonable actually, we have a high rooftop so it's a lot of pipe. But if we could knock a couple grand off the price tag it would help a lot. Thanks.

considering regular furnace flue venting

I'll be doing this soon too. I have been thinking about a regular furnace vent, double walled. It doesn't need to be custom made. Just need to check the building code. If you can find what is acceptable for a furnace, water heater or boiler in a commercial building, you could use the same.
    Jason
    Scholb Premium Ales

Comment

For both a steam and direct fire flue I think$8500.00 is a pretty good price. Is it in stainless steel? The design and installation of the steam flues is a bit more critical to ensure you don't have any condensation running back down the flue into your kettle.

Comment

We used 10" (I think, might be bigger) PVC pipe for our kettle stack. This is on a 15bbl system from ABT, and it works perfectly for a fraction of the price of stainless, a small fraction. When we installed the system, the manufacturer told me to use either stainless or PVC, but never b-vent for the kettle stack. They said galvanized material just won't hold up to that much moisture. I believe the stainless stack was going to be 4 or 5k, the PVC was maybe a couple hundred dollars. As for the design of the stack, if your kettle is designed properly it will collect and drain away any condensation dripping down the inside of the stack.

As for your boiler/burner vent, that is going to be determined by building code, so not much room to negotiate there. It is what it is, but I would expect that one is quite a bit less than half of the price of that quote because furnace vent is relatively much cheaper than stainless.
        Last edited by nickfl; 05-20-2015, 03:02 PM.

Comment

I used stainless steel chimney liner for our condensate vent to the roof, it comes in 6 ft sections, make sure it is far enough above the roof to get a good stack effect. For our flue, we are able to use B vent, which is aluminum inside galvanized, flue gas temps are not less than 250F and not over 350F, so moisture is not a worry in the flue. Ask your manufacturer what the flue gas temps are, that will determine the materials you can use to vent. We are on a 10bbl PBST system. As long as you are going vertical, its easy, if there are any horizontal moves, it gets a little more complicated. If it is a powered burner, then you shouldnt need a barometric damper. Obviously, consult your mechanical engineer on this, they will know the codes and what you can and cant do for your municipality.

Comment

Working...
          X