Best 20 x 20 plate filter for 3bbl brewery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best 20 x 20 plate filter for 3bbl brewery

What is the best 20 x 20 plate filter for a 3bbl brewery? I see more beer / more wine has a 6plate and 10 plate. Some other places sell a 20 plate setup. What is the best one for our size. Thank you
    Last edited by BREWMASON; 05-12-2015, 01:25 PM.

I am also looking for a 20x20 filter for our 3BBL system with 6BBL fermenters. Did you buy one yet? I have been looking at the Pico 30 plate 20x20 from GW Kent. Seems like a good price, it comes with a pump, and I should be able to filter an entire 6BBL tank in about 40 minutes or less. Thoughts?

Plate & frame filter press is made in Italy by MORI TEM.  It is built entirely out of 304L stainless steel.  A plate & frame filter press is a tool used in separation and filtration processes in order to separate solids and liquids.  Our filter is designed to filter wine, beer, distilled spirits, olive oil and other liquids.  This filter can hold 30 filter sheets in the 20 cm by 20 cm size. This filter is mounted on wheels for easy mobility. It includes a crossover plate in the middle.  The crossover/divider plate allows you to do a double filtration in a single pass.  In other words, when you use the divider plate you can use 15 coarser filter sheets in the front and 15 finer filter sheets in the back.  By removing the crossover plate you use all 30 filter sheets of the grade of fineness. The plates are made of Noryl, which is food grade sanitary and can be steam sterilized.  You can remove about 5 plates when doing a smaller filter run, and can add about 5 plates when doing a bigger run, but you would need to purchase some extra plates. This filter comes with a ½ hp centrifugal pump with 110 V plug.  Uses small 20 cm X 20 cm filter sheets.  Standard 40 cm X 40 cm filter sheets can be sliced into 4 equal squares and then used in this filter.

Comment

You may want to consider the value of the return for clarifying 3 bbls of beer with a plate filter. It might be cheaper and just as effective using finings and polishing up with a cartridge filter. 6-7 bbls at pub, I can see the return on that. You can run multiple batches through a plate filter.
      Todd G Hicks
      BeerDenizen Brewing Services

Comment

Remember that most plate filters you see used in breweries were originally developed for wine, which has sat for much longer and typically just needs a final polish after racking off the lees, or sequential filtration down to sterile with sweet wines to prevent refermentation in the bottle. 20x20s were designed for small wineries so you'd think small breweries would be a good fit, but several nanos I've talked to that have tried to use a 20x20 to filter beer, which is loaded with much more gunk than wine, have had a string of frustrations and issues. So if you do go that route, get as many plates as you can and increase your surface area, and thus potential soil load, as much as possible. And if it says something like "Filters Up To X Gallons An Hour!" don't believe it for a second. Filtering water through coarse pads at full blast, maybe. Here we get 10bbls through our 40x40 with 20 plates on coarse pads in about 30-45 minutes, fine pads in an hour, hour and fifteen if it's being stubborn and needs a backflush. (Excluding sanitization and setup time, which takes about 45 minutes too.) After we hit 20bbls the pads typically require a backflush or two, depending on the dryhop load or yeast flocculation.
        Russell Everett
        Co-Founder / Head Brewer
        Bainbridge Island Brewing
        Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

In my interim brewery (long story), we used a GW kent. It was priced right but I had issues with blinding. I solved it because I had a lot of bright tanks and stored all our beer in kegs.

What I ended up doing was installing stand pipes in three brites and biofined as i transfered to a "secondary". The conditioning tank allowed m to free up a fermenter after 4-5 days and let the beer settle for filtering. The stand pipe was a 1 x 1.5 weld reduced from McMaster Carr. Heavy and worked like a dream.

I also stopped using the pump on it. Just as easy to push with CO2. It had a lot of little plugs that I discovered I need to pull out to get an adequate cleaning done on it.
          Mike Pensinger
          General Manager/Brewmaster
          Parkway Brewing Company
          Salem, VA

Comment

Working...
          X