US-05 Issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gbbc View Post
    I think just about all the things that could cause this has been covered. I would skip the rehydration procedure for now, to avoid contamination in that step, pitch dry at about 72.5 to 73, leave for a couple of hours and then set your FV to your desired fermentation temp.

There is also allot of info on this forum about chemicals and procedures for cleaning and maintaining your brewhouse.

Cheers
    What would you suggest for equipment to perform rehydration of a 500g block of US-05? I am hesitant to do it, to avoid contamination but feel as though it is necessary for the yeast viability.
    Cheers!

Comment

500 g of dry yeast needs 5 liters of water. If you're doing less than full packs, you can use one of these 5000 ml flasks (or split a whole pack between two). They're pretty cheap, and you can sterilize water in them: https://www.morebeer.com/products/er...k-5000-ml.html

For larger (multiple pack) pitches, you could maybe rehydrate in a corny keg and then transfer under pressure to fermenter?

Comment

Two of our last three batches of our IPA using US-05 have had these phenolic flavors, but have cleaned up with time. The first time it happened the phenols were gone by the time we were finishing up the batch, and I just kegged the most recent batch and the phenols have begun to subside with carbonation, and especially after pouring and letting it breathe a little bit, they pretty much disappear.
        We do 3 barrel batches of this IPA, along with a brown ale, using the same yeast. We have a 1.5bbl brewhouse so we double batch over two days. On the first day we pitch the yeast for the 1.5bbl worth (after reading that the growth stage will produce enough yeast for the second half-been doing this for over a year) and day two we just add the fresh wort of the second batch. Temperature is at about 74* for the first batch and we bring it down to between 68-70* after adding the second half. We have not had any phenolic issues with our brown ale, just the IPA, and just 2 of the last 3 batches have had this issue.
        Our HEX cleaning regimen is fairly strong, and again, other beers with this yeast don't have this issue.

Comment

I think there may be a couple things going on. What are you using for aeration? Are you using compressed oxygen from a verified source? You could be under-oxygenating your wort. If you use in-line aeration, are you ensuring your compressed air is suitable for medical use? This means that the compressed air is going through a series of nanofilters to remove oils, greases, and small particles. You can aerate with compressed air as much as you like because it won't over-oxygenate the wort. If your oxygen is from a welding tank, there is potential for cross-over.

We use US-05 for half of our beers. From the plate chiller, our wort is about 20C going to our cooled tank (12C) with in-line medical grade compressed air. We pitch the hydrated yeast using our yeast brink and compressed air to get it in the 30 bbl tank. From there, we set the tank temp to 15.5C then let it rise to 16.5C overnight and hold it at 16.5C. We have yet to see off flavors or diacetyl production using this method.

Comment

Heights, thanks for your response.
            We use pure oxygen. We only aerate the first half of the batch. Again, this problem has only showed up in one beer out of many that we make with this yeast, and only in a couple of recent batches.

Comment

This post may be a bit off-topic here, but it seemed as though it was a good discussion concerning US-05. If there is a better thread somewhere else, please point me in the right direction.
              I've used US-05 for years on 1-bbl pilot batches, typically knocking-out more than 33 gallons of finished beer, 4.5% - 7% ABV. I was always under-pitching; 40-45 g for those previous mentioned volumes. I've currently upped that number to 52-58g per 1-bbl batch, but I've always been pleased with my finishing gravities, usually 2-2.5 Plato.

On our larger system (15-bbl), I cannot get the same finishing gravities. We're still in the learning phase on this brewhouse, and we've only committed to 10-bbl batches so far. The most recent batch was a stout, approx. starting 13 plato, held at 68-73°. Showed vigorous fermentation during the initial 24-48 hrs, and simply quietly died out. I pulled the blow-off tube and capped the FV after 6-days. This was 700g of US-05, not rehydrated, pitched at-temp, and aerated for approx. 15-min during wort transfer. Per the Safale brick directions, they recommend 50g minimum per hectoliter, 80 g maximum. I can't get this beer to drop below 4-5 Plato. Still holding at 72°. Flavor is right inline with expectations. Typically this beer was finishing about 2-3 plato

FYI - this beer was scaled directly up 10X. In all my research, I've come to understand that this particular yeast does not need re-hydration nor aeration. And, it was 2-3 week old unopened bricks. Thoughts?
              It's all about the Beer.
              PlyJoe

Comment

Originally posted by Plybeer View Post
                This post may be a bit off-topic here, but it seemed as though it was a good discussion concerning US-05. If there is a better thread somewhere else, please point me in the right direction.
                I've used US-05 for years on 1-bbl pilot batches, typically knocking-out more than 33 gallons of finished beer, 4.5% - 7% ABV. I was always under-pitching; 40-45 g for those previous mentioned volumes. I've currently upped that number to 52-58g per 1-bbl batch, but I've always been pleased with my finishing gravities, usually 2-2.5 Plato.

On our larger system (15-bbl), I cannot get the same finishing gravities. We're still in the learning phase on this brewhouse, and we've only committed to 10-bbl batches so far. The most recent batch was a stout, approx. starting 13 plato, held at 68-73°. Showed vigorous fermentation during the initial 24-48 hrs, and simply quietly died out. I pulled the blow-off tube and capped the FV after 6-days. This was 700g of US-05, not rehydrated, pitched at-temp, and aerated for approx. 15-min during wort transfer. Per the Safale brick directions, they recommend 50g minimum per hectoliter, 80 g maximum. I can't get this beer to drop below 4-5 Plato. Still holding at 72°. Flavor is right inline with expectations. Typically this beer was finishing about 2-3 plato

FYI - this beer was scaled directly up 10X. In all my research, I've come to understand that this particular yeast does not need re-hydration nor aeration. And, it was 2-3 week old unopened bricks. Thoughts?
                Mash temps, look there first. Mash temp scaling from small systems to larger ones can throw things off a bit. I would typically (for ease of use mostly) pitch 1000g into a 15bbl batch with aeration and no re-hydration. I think the aeration helps reduce lag.

Comment

Mash temps, look there first. Mash temp scaling from small systems to larger ones can throw things off a bit. I would typically (for ease of use mostly) pitch 1000g into a 15bbl batch with aeration and no re-hydration. I think the aeration helps reduce lag.
                  We have a BK/MT all-in-one. It allows us to step-ramp the entire mash before sending to the LT. It seems as if it holds temp very solidly. Perhaps I'm merely underpitching, doesn't seem likely though. When pitching liquid yeast , I'm not having the same issues.
                  It's all about the Beer.
                  PlyJoe

Comment

Working...
                  X